• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Heatpipe issue on an old motherboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

maximpress

Hy folks!

In an another topic I've already described my pc/workstation configuration but I mention it again. So my old mb. is and MSI K9ND Speedster2 with an MSI R7970 vga in it.
The issue is: The vga card is too long and thick thus it covers the entire heatsink of the northbridge chip (nforce 3600). :-/ I've measured its temp. and it is working around 100-110 °C :mad: A 40mm fan would be suitable but cannot be assembled due to lack of space.
I figured out that I shall solve the problem with a heatpipe or a pair and it could dissipate the heat with a heatsink and a small fan over the vga card.

The question:

Is my idea feasible?
If yes, which way? How can I assemble a pre-bought heatpipe into a heatsink? I have absolutely no idea, what kind of parts,and tools I need, in turn I'd like to keep it as cool as possible. (Although it's designed for 24/7 operating, I have doubt with the lifetime operating in such high temps.)

Thans the advices! :) :salute:

Maybe this will inspire you a bit. Aquacomputer Active backplate

Here the backplate is connected to the heatpipe by putting a piece of metal over it. I know for a fact that in between, the heatpipe is covered in TIM. Perhaps this could get you thinking on a contraption. Make a groove through the heatsink, put a heapipe in it and smudge it in TIM. Then sandwitch it all up with a plate. Seems like a lot of work specially since there is metal working involved.

Alternatively, you could get a PCI riser and just move the card away from northbridge or get an extender and mount the card elsewhere.

Just a thought.

First I'd like to mention that MSI is known for very high NB temps. That being said if this was my set-up I would drop the VGA card down to the PCI-E1 slot which is also a x16 lane so you should see no performance loss. This will give you the room needed for the 40mm fan. It would also give you the ability to upgrade the heatsink to something better like the DeepCool NBridge 8. This thing is big enough to zip tie an 80mm fan to it if you choose to. Just some ideas for you.

k9nd.JPG

First I'd like to mention that MSI is known for very high NB temps. That being said if this was my set-up I would drop the VGA card down to the PCI-E1 slot which is also a x16 lane so you should see no performance loss. This will give you the room needed for the 40mm fan. It would also give you the ability to upgrade the heatsink to something better like the DeepCool NBridge 8. This thing is big enough to zip tie an 80mm fan to it if you choose to. Just some ideas for you.

View attachment 169334

This method wont work, because the vga is 4 cm longer than the mobo so the JFP1 and its cables are now the obstacle. Then I ought to look for something like L-shaped pin extension, but haven't heard about such adapter.
Nonetheless this method would be better with a small fan, than DIY made heatpipe solution . (Mainly beacuse I have neither practice nor tools for metal works). We will see, but Im still clueless.

Hmmm, I've never seen the JFP1 have clearance issues with GPU's before. Are you using the MSI adapter there? Looks like this. If so I'd ditch that and you should have enough room.

msi adapter.jpg

(sorry about the terrible google image)

Back