• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Afterburner Slows Startup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mgilbert

Registered
After installing MSI Afterburner, I noticed that Windows 11 on my computer takes much longer to reach the desktop after I enter my PIN. It used to come up in less than a second. It now takes several seconds before the background pops up, and a few more before the taskbar shows up. Using restore points, I've tried both the latest stable version, and the current Beta version. Same issue with both. There is nothing new in the list of startup tasks either. Uninstalling Afterburner doesn't resolve the issue. Only using a restore point does.

My GPU is an RX7800-XT, and I'm running driver 23.12.1 because AMD's newest driver has major stuttering issues.

Any idea what's causing this?

I haven't seen MSI AB do that...weird.

If you uninstall it, does the performance go back to normal? Or... if you disable it from startup, does the speed return to normal?

I haven't seen MSI AB do that...weird.

If you uninstall it, does the performance go back to normal? Or... if you disable it from startup, does the speed return to normal?
If I uninstall it, the problem remains. I have to use a restore point to get things back to normal. I don't have it running at startup. I just checked, and the option for having it apply my settings at startup is disabled. I click it, nothing happens. Weird is right.

Yeah, never had that happen before. Curious.

Try a different, similar app, like AMD's OC app, and see if it still happens.

It may slow down something if other similar applications are in use. I mean, anything from ASUS Armoury Crate, MSI Center, Gigabyte Apps, and some more. Some are automatically installing multiple services, and act in a similar way to AB and may use similar resources.
It shouldn't happen on a clean OS.

Back