• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hell freezing over: Intel to release CPU with AMD integrated graphics

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I highly doubt that.

I am surprised he can just jump ship and go though. Many times, especially high level engineers sign non compete agreements where they cannot go to a direct competitor until after say a year.

If you're good enough it's a lot easier to avoid them. A lot of employers like to say it's "standard practice", but I would never sign anything that stupid. If I don't work for Mr. X my family goes hungry? Riiiight. No thanks.

Oh, I was just making a joke about Vega. After 18 months of hype we got-Vega. And that's the guy Intel had to have. LOL

Not familiar with US law specifically, but non-compete clauses are often not worth the paper they're written on. AMD will likely pay closer attention to future products and their IP coverage with this move.

Even though Raja was the head of RTG, there were a fair share of rumours of internal conflict so you have to wonder how much of it was what he wanted to do, vs had to do. Common problem in any job... still, Vega is still more than anything Intel has in the space. Wonder if it'll be a clean start, if that is even possible, or would it be based on existing Intel IP as starting point?

Worth the paper or not, they are quite common at this level... very surprised there wasn't one.

Who cares, everyone uses PCI-E dedicated graphics cards anyway. I'd prefer if the CPUs had no video support at all and save the extra money of not having to include a GPU. The only people using on board GPUs are those doing web browsing and things like that, in which they could literately pick any GPU and it would work fine for displaying the Windows environment. This affects absolutely nothing as onboard GPUs target a non-existent market.

You will note that they, Intel, are getting into the DISCRETE GPU space as well bud. OP doesn't mention it as it came out yesterday, but... yeah dGPUs too!!!

I'm thinking there's something bigger in play with this deal. Yes, at his level of employment, there would be non-compete, non-disclosure clauses. For those to be waived -> follow the money. Perhaps Intel will utilize his skillset and contacts to purchase AMD or the better-fit parts. Being that Intel already has some graphics experience and NVidia challenging Intel in the compute arena the FTC wouldn't much care.

Yeah, the failed romance with nvidia is likely to produce repercussions we ain't seen yet.

I could be wrong on this. I'm old and my mind plays tricks on me :) Sometimes I can't remember what year it is....WOW it's already 2018.

NVidia was hinting at building a SOC CPU. The rumor was that it would be x86 compatible and some other stuff. Intel Quickly shot back publicly that NVidia did not have a LEGAL right to make a x86 CPU. Intel also stated that " Intel nor AMD would give\sell NVidia the license to produce x86 CPU's.
NVidia used to make MB Chipsets for AMD & INTEL CPU's. I remember reading a article where Intel was suing NVidia for making and selling the 7xx chipset. Intel stated that NVidia had not purchased a license from Intel to produce the 7xx that worked with Intel CPU's.
I think this and Intel BASHING NVidia on the x86 thing has both companies holding a grudge against the other. (NVidia ended up making a ARM chip)
AMD just happens to be in a nice spot between the two companies. It is a torn that must be left so that nobody can claim that XXX company has a monopoly of the XXX market.

You will note that they, Intel, are getting into the DISCRETE GPU space as well bud. OP doesn't mention it as it came out yesterday, but... yeah dGPUs too!!!

I KNOW that I'm old and not completely here some days :) I still remember when INTEL released the i720 Graphics card. Everybody was worried that the 8000 pound INTEL was now going to produce dGPUs also.

Here is some insight for you guys on how the engineering world operates:

Raja is a pure blooded engineer, he will go to any company to get the best resources available to him. Any passionate engineer does the same, loyalty is only created by the people they work with, not the company they are apart of. Raja want's to do Deep Learning and AI, which AMD is very much lacking. He is not going there to build a competitive product to AMD and NVIDIA. Its only going to be NVIDIA that he targets. Vega was a great step into the direction AMD could have gone with Deep Learning and the like, however they would have to fight Intel and NVIDIA. So it may be that AMD goes back to making great workstation cards that can be used to do all sorts of great things in the creation/development branch of computing, but continue to focus primarily on the PC Gaming end. NVIDIA is a titan and single player in the Deep Learning GPU sector, and they won't go away easily. Intel really wants a huge chunk of that market and has spent the last several years buying companies left and right.

@MaddMutt, I have not read an article on NVIDIA looking to step into x86 CPU world to do APUs or the like. Do you have a link to an article?

And the Vega cards that just came out demonstrated that analytic and scientific throughput are their strengths rather than just purely gamer devices. The upcoming development of AI and deep learning will still rely on compute cycles, it's a matter of power and efficiency as always. AMD may have products in the lineup that address the requirements needed for this; we just aren't privy to their R&D dance card. Raja was/is. As was said, he'll still be in GPU-land at Intel. It's a matter of AMD just last quarter reporting it's first net positive as the company's value is ahead of where it was in recent years. Makes for a good acquisition target no matter who may field an interest. Without Raja, the value may or may not slide a tad depending on what his perceived value was going forward.

@MaddMutt, I have not read an article on NVIDIA looking to step into x86 CPU world to do APUs or the like. Do you have a link to an article?

IIRC..... It was a rumor and as a rumor, Intel wanted everyone to know that NVidia could not make a x86 SOC without Intel's blessings. NVidia ended up making the Tegra\Tegra II SOC using a ARM design. IIRC the code name for that project was DENVER.

Yeah the NVIDIA x86 rumor was way back in 2009/2011, no wonder I don't remember it haha. As far as PC goes, NVIDIA knows they can't come in without a unique and diverse product to seperate them from AMD/Intel. So I'd say for now NVIDIA will continue to develop Discrete GPUs for the entire market, but continue to shift to full GPU only solutions for Machine learning and Deep Learning.

For Raja and Intel though

Meanwhile, in perhaps the only news that can outshine the fact that Raja Koduri is joining Intel, is what he will be doing for Intel. As part of today’s revelation, Intel has announced that they are instituting a new top-to-bottom GPU strategy.

Yet while Intel has GPU-like products for certain markets, the company doesn’t have a proper GPU solution once you get beyond their existing GT4-class iGPUs, which are, roughly speaking, on par with $150 or so discrete GPUs. Which is to say that Intel doesn’t have access to the midrange market or above with their iGPUs. With the hiring of Raja and Intel’s new direction, the company is going to be expanding into full discrete GPUs for what the company calls “a broad range of computing segments.”

To that end, I’m going to be surprised if Intel doesn’t develop a true top-to-bottom product stack that contains midrange GPUs as well – something in the vein of Polaris 10 and GP106 – but for the moment the discrete GPU aspect of Intel’s announcement is focused on high-end GPUs. And, given what we typically see in PC GPU release cycles, even if Intel does develop a complete product stack, I wouldn’t be too surprised if Intel’s first released GPU was a high-end GPU, as it’s clear this is where Intel needs to start first to best combat NVIDIA.

source

Alright so there is a lot of speculation and reading between the lines. Intel of course will come out and say that they want the entire sector and will dedicate money to develop that full stack of products. However, we have seen that Intel will back out of this if the R&D does not produce a sell able product. Raja is a perfect candidate to create a new stackup of GPUs at any company (apart from Nvidia). However, it is very important to note who Intel as a company will be targeting first, and that is Nvidia. It won't be 1080Ti's or the like that Intel wants to compete with, its their Quadro/Titan/Tesla series cards. These cards are designed for low to high end computations as we all know. Intel being Intel wants a full stack solution for their Deep Learning architectures. They have the CPU, they have the FPGA, they have the RAM, and they have the architectures, they have the Neural Net designs, and they have end devices to place them in, they have sensors, they have storage, and they have networking. The last piece to their puzzle is the GPU. Raja will be treated like royalty probably for the duration he is at Intel setting up their GPU development team.

Fair enough, I just can't see it from my view point. Is Intel's ultimate goal to develop all the parts of a PC without anyone else? 100% Yes!

Will Raja fulfill that for them? Who knows!

Technically speaking, Intel has been licensing AMD technology for years. We all enjoy our 64bit processing; no?

That said, for laptop and small form factor machines, it looks pretty promising. It would make sense to let AMD keep going with the onboard video, thats probably costing intel an arm and a leg when its probably far cheaper to buy it or license it? Thats what makes sense in my head at least. Win - Win for both teams.

Back