• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hello Again! - Upgrading my old worn out CHVZ with a new Sabertooth 990FX R3.0

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

marjamar

Hey guys, been awhile. Figured I should do some visiting while I am doing upgrades to my old workhorse I build some years back. Use to spend alot of hours playing around with this overclocking. But as life would have it, when other things come in, invariably some stuff must leave. But revisiting is always nice and maybe a tip or 2 on my rebuild will help.

So, what I have is the new motherboard which is actually being put into a new LIAN LI PC-Z60 case I've had setting here for a few years. Decided I didn't want to keep the HUGE Obsidian any longer as it is taking up too much room in my basement home theater I am trying to get finished before too long. Anyways, it's a very nice box, all aluminum so it's nice and light. My 6 HD RAID10 fits in nice and so does my 120 Black Ice Rad in the rear. Unfortunately, there isn't any room for my Black Ice 360 Rad anyplace. So, I am loosing 3/4 of my cooling capabilities I figure. I'm not overly concerned as I am not really going to need to overclock to GHz like I did in the Obsidian box, but I still do video editing, so I do need some reasonable amounts of extra cycles from my FX-8350 CPU.

Everything is together and work well. I have done some moderate overclocking and have it stable at 4.640 GHz right now. This could be fine except I am a bit hotter then I like at 64° top running Prime 95 for over an hour or so. I'm in air conditioning, so I don't expect that will change much by itself. But, I really would like to be in the sub 60° range if possible. So, my first questions is, is it possible to do this with a single 120 Rad (push/pull) and and EK CPU water block? I have Koolence RP-401x2 dual pump/reservoir moving 1.7 GPM of water, which I feel is more then enough. But, I am only getting around .5° C difference under extreme load between inlet and outlet water from the rad. Seems to me it use to be greater, but just don't remember. The maximum water temp I have seen so far is just over 40° C. It may be that just a single 120 Rad isn't going to do any better, don't know.

Well, I'll keep with it for a while longer. If anyone has some ideas, please let me know.

Take care.

-Rodger

Hey Rodger, good to have you back! :thup:

Those are not bad temps with a single 120 rad and running P95 for an hour. Remember you're aren't going to see those temps while video editing so I'm sure you'll be in the 50's range. There's always room for improvement as you already know, but for what you have for cooling, it isn't too shabby. The FX is quite a toasty chip once you start pushing it a bit and you've already known that. Maybe with better static pressure fans you may get better temps, but of course that comes with the drawbacks of noise.

If I were you I'd find a way to mount that 360 in the back instead of the single 120 ;)

Thanks for the welcome back.

About what I have figured. I do think I might reverse inlet/outlet to this rad as it is a 2 stage (forward/rearward) and right now I have the inlet going to the front first. Might be better going to the back first, don't know. I did compute the Delta T and I am only dissipating about 175 watts at full cooling/heating. I think this rad is suppose to do something like 400 watts I believe. So, if it is suppose to and I can figure out why it isn't, maybe I can get my 5 GHz back, HA!

I'll keep plugging away for a bit and see where I go.

BTW your are right about using the 360 outside the box. I can do this, but it's just more stuff and I am trying hard to downsize. Plus 6 more fans (even the very quiet ones) get loud at full RPM.

Thanks again.

-Rodger

Yeah, I got the downsized bug a while back and moved to a mini itx cube with a 7600k overclocked to 4.8, delidded. Runs so cool it only needed a Corsair H55 which fits in the cube. I'm actually running the CPU at the same speed I did in my big clunky full tower NZXT case with a 360 rad. Fits nicely on my desktop work area now.

This is about as small as I can go with my RAID10 setup. Even then I have another RAID5 in a little enclosure I keep connected through an eSATA cable. All of my 20+ years of DVD/Blu-ray and even more years of recorded TV/Cable and of course my own videos take up a bit of space, even digitized. Those itx setups are really nice though. My nephew wants to build and make me build a couple of Ryzen computers, but been out of the loop for a few years and I'll need to look at some to see if I want to start putting computers together again. Besides, he's 60 years old, he's old enough to build his own I think.

Up to 4.74 GHz @ 1.428v now. Pretty stable, but getting too hot to handle for very long, maybe 15 minutes at the most running Prime 95. Gonna work on my plumbing a bit tomorrow to see if there's anything I can do with it.

It's late.

-Rodger

You are probably at the limit of your rad ....... a better rad ..... or fans ..... or waterblock might get you a couple degrees. Not sure if it is worth the extra expense though. What exactly are the parts in your loop..... rad, fans and block.

Yeah, pretty sure as well. Actually, never thought I'd get so many cycles with this single 120 rad, and stable at that. This has always been a super CPU though, so I guess I should have though it could. Also, this new motherboard is far better then my burned-out CHVFZ ever was. It balances power distribution far better and far more stable volts across the board. If I wanted noise, I could make this CPU go up, but it's hardly a quiet hum at full power now, so I think I will use it this way and see if I need more.

My signature block has all my stuff except the LIAN-LI PC-Z-60 case and the new Asus TUF Sabertooth 990FX R3.0 motherboard. I suppose I should change it, but I had so much fun with that old Obsidian build I don't know, maybe just add the new stuff and show the old stuff as retired or something -- Hey, just like I am, HA!

-Rodger

So the v. 3 Sabertooth is doing you good, huh? I've seen a number of posts on the forum that advise going with v. 2 and staying away from v. 3 for some reason. Never used either myself.

Yes, I'd say it's good, or even better, maybe even the best for the old AM3+ socket. I had the first released Sabertooth 6 or 7 years back. That one I just could not get working well at all. Sent it back to Newegg and bought the CHVFZ and that was a good board. Got me to 5 GHz water cooled. This version of the Saberthooth seems very stable as I watch all the voltages just set motionless most of the time. VCore almost still as well, so that to me is a good sign of everything working in harmony pretty well.

-Rodger

Having issues for the past couple of years with the CHVFZ. My guess is too much and to high overclocking. Final straw was my LSI 9260-81 RAID controller quit seemingly quit. Took it out and my video card went flaky and would not always post at boot up. 2 pci-e slots not working says bad MB to me. Both work fine in this new MB, so the old CHVFZ just gave up the ghost.

-Rodger

It's 1 120 rad per 100w. :)
You're already overextended. Temps will not change without more rad surface area.
You need at least a 240.

I am trying to dissipate just about 210 watts with the current clock of 4.6 GHz @ 1.428v. According to my figures, as setup, I can dissipate right at 175 watts. So, if I do very much or very long, heavy loads I will be in trouble with this setting. Have tried just about everything to bring the Vcore lower and maintain this clock, but nothing seems any better then what I have already tuned. Only things left are lower clocks or more cooling. As mentioned, I can put a stand-alone 360 rad on this, but I don't want to. I'm in the process of a new install of Windows 10 Pro and will have a few hours of backups to restore full functions back, but after I do that I will most likely use it this way a bit and see just how much trouble it can cause.

-Rodger

If by "heat soak" you mean temps will creep up, I would be surprised to see that actually. I've been running at this current clock since this early afternoon and it's temps are 38°C right now. With our homes air conditioning, there is a substantial level of cooling due to the ambient temps being pulled into the case by 4 additional fans. All of my temps and fans are monitored by my AquaComputer and fans are regulated accordingly. Typical fan speeds are about 60% with this clock and water about 58%. Time will tell however. Now when I do rendering (which I do quite alot) I will have to watch pretty closely to temps. At least for a few of the longer renders.

But, you might be saying something else, so you might want to elaborate a bit on the term.

-Rodger

You will be surprised then.
A single 120 rad cannot displace 175w of heat. It can't even displace 140w. Once the liquid temp passes the point that the rad can no longer remove, your liquid temp and thus your core temps will only rise, and keep rising.
I have half a dozen various FX's all on water, all overclocked, and have had since they were released, so I kinda been there already.
It is not opinion, it is fact.
Your single 120 is basically no better than an AIO, and there are air coolers out there better than any AIO so............take it for what it's worth.
It will not adequately cool an 8 core FX at much more than stock speeds.

Last edited:
You will be surprised then.
A single 120 rad cannot displace 175w of heat. It can't even displace 140w. Once the liquid temp passes the point that the rad can no longer remove, your liquid temp and thus your core temps will only rise, and keep rising.
I have half a dozen various FX's all on water, all overclocked, and have had since they were released, so I kinda been there already.
It is not opinion, it is fact.
Your single 120 is basically no better than an AIO, and there are air coolers out there better than any AIO so............take it for what it's worth.
It will not adequately cool an 8 core FX at much more than stock speeds.

I gotta concur here Rodger. That lowly 120mm rad will not be enough. Right now you're not doing anything with the rig aside from being here so temps seem to be in check for the moment. That FX will over power that 120 rad sooner than later, thus is why I suggested for you to use that 360 rad you've got going to waste.

Work is indeed the key here. Length of time and amount of work. The only way to know this, is to use it. As any variable you put in, can be right on, or way off. The best I can say at this point is, I am good for about an hour of very hard work, for perhaps at least some of the time. I do know I will not be pushing my CPU above 60° C, so the most certainly I will need to reduce cycles once I see where the temps hover.

-Rodger

You guys got me doubting myself... So, decided to do a little experiment. I am switching over to DaVinci Resolve 14 for my editor of choice. Still in beta, but it's going to serve my needs much better then Adobe Premiere CC2017 I think. Many parts of Resolve are far superior to Premiere and rendering is for sure one of them. Been shooting a lot of video with our Mavic Pros and so I just put about a hour and 1/2 of 4K raw video up and I'm rendering down to 1080p for a test. Been at it for about 20 minutes and so far the highest CPU temps has been 54°C. That will can change of course, but it's 70% done right now, so most of my rendering times will be substantially lowered with Resolve to the point where I may indeed be good as rendering is about the toughest job this computer does. I feel pretty good about it anyways.

-Rodger

Rendering Test.jpg

Back