• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hello Again! - Upgrading my old worn out CHVZ with a new Sabertooth 990FX R3.0

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Put a fan on the VRM heatsink and on the back side of the motherboard blowing on the socket area and you may bring the Cpu temp down a bit more.

There's one in there, but it's a cheap one from our 3D printers spare parts bin. Have a few new Noctua NF-A4x20 FLX ordered and will replace it when they come in.

-Rodger

Good news and bad news...

My Sabertooth 990FX R3.0 has been working fine at 4.6 GHz for everything I normally use it for. Temps stay around 54° or so under my heaviest loads otherwise they are mid to high 30's. This is at 1.420 V. That's good stuff.

Few days ago, for some unknown reason my USB 3.0/3.1 dropped dead. 2.0 is fine. Did a few things to make sure it's the MB and it is. That's the bad news.

Last night I finally got around to doing a replacement on Amazon and a new Sabertooth 990FX R3.0 will be here Sunday, all free. That's the good news. Shortly after it gets here, I will put in the new Noctura fans I have ordered in the new MB. The previous NF-A420 FLX were just too thick at 20mm, so I have the same ones at 10mm thick coming in today. Nice thing is, I can keep using this setup until everything is here and ready to swap out as Amazon has a nice policy of sending new replacements free and then gives you 30 days to return the bad stuff. That's more good news.

I won't be Sunday however, I will be somewhere up between Wheatland, WY and Casper, WY camping with my son and grandson. Come Monday sometime around noon we should be watching and filming the Solar Eclipse. And that's good news too.

Easter Island Eclipse by Jay Pasachoff.jpg

-Rodger

Well we got back from our mini-trek to watch the 2017 Solar Eclipse a few days ago. Real fun. Found a great place about 20 miles west of Glendo Reservoir, WY. My son Andy took a number of great photos. Here's one of them.

-Rodger

Thanks for the kind words. Photography is one of his loves and has been for a bunch of years. That link above is his flickr account which has I'd suppose a hundred or more of his photographs that can be viewed if interested.

-Rodger

They must be nice (they are) to get you out of your hole. Nice to se ya

Hey nice to see you around RGone ...... the place is not the same without you

Figured I'd update my sig and avatar. Most of the internet knows my photo, so just changed it to my avatar. Ugly, maybe, but hey what you gonna do, HA!

-Rodger

Seems like Asus motherboards are not liking me too much. Last night I lost USB 3.0/3.1 on this new MB. This is exactly what happened to the previous one just a couple weeks back. Only thing I can think is a bad run of amedia chips or some other support hardware. There isn't any fixing for this either, as the USB 3.0 drivers do not see the USB host controller during reinstall. Don't see any flags in device manager either. Did a reinstall of firmware and tried installing the USB 3.0 drivers again, and same thing.

I like this motherborad alot, but I really need USB 3.0/3.1 to stay working. Only thing I can think of is looking for another brand of motherboard.

Any suggestions as to what brand I might use?

Thanks.

-Rodger

Don't know if it will help, but maybe try and see what BIOS you're on and update it to the newest if your not already.

Well there isn't any fixing it. Had to order another one, but this time from a different supplier. Hoping it is related to faulty string of ASMedia chipsets. These last 2 motherboards serial numbers were only like 180 apart, so I figured if it is faulty batch of chipsets, it would be safer to order from a difference source on this one. Looked at every other motherboard I could find pretty closely and I do believe this is the best to be had for my needs. Using all 4 of the PCIEX16 slots so that cut the field down right off the bat. And I do like the overclock features very much anyways. Well, hoping for the best -- We'll see.

-Rodger

When overclocking any 8/9 series Fx chip there are only 2 motherboards I'd ever consider, the CHV and Sabertooth, that's it.

When overclocking any 8/9 series Fx chip there are only 2 motherboards I'd ever consider, the CHV and Sabertooth, that's it.
My first build expressly for overclocking was with the CHIV and AMD 1090T. Super fun and good learning/remembering time for me. Then when I got my first Steamroller upgraded to the CHVFZ. Would still be using it, but it became unreliable and just too much trouble so now I'm trying to get these Sabertooth's to work. Should be easy, but for some reason can't keep USB 3.0/3.1 from breaking -- Really strange.

-Rodger

Turns out Asus had a bad batch of these TUF Sabertooth 990FX R3.0 motherboards. Amazon sent all of theirs back I was told. So, I still have one in my computer for about a week and then I will need to send it back too. So I am faced with finding another replacement or waiting for the new batch of these motherboards to reach Amazon. I expect I'll just wait as I do like everything else about this mb except the 3.0/3.1 not working.

-Rodger

How important is the USB 3.1? The Sabertooth R2.0 is a tank IMO I have one that I used for quite a while with no issues. It's now just sitting in a box waiting for a new life

Back