• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help a Newbie Out with OC, i don't recognize my BIOS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CookieMaker

Registered
I'm sorry this is my first post, I would spoiler tag the pics but couldn't find the button.
I simply can't find an instructional vid/article that pertains to the issue i'm having. I know OP's need ot be detailed so here it goes.
EDIT: am trying to fix the pictures, i failed at linking the first time

Also running an NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GS (450mhz core, 660mhz mem, 256 Mbytes, buswidth 256)

The Problem:

I don't know how to even begin overclocking my processor, though i've been told it usually responds ridiculously well to overclocking. Im running an ExtremePower 550W source with like 6 fans in my tower so i dont think heat will be a problem. I have 8 gigs of DDR2ram (planning on upgrading to windows 7 soon, only on windows xp-32, i know 5 g's of ram is going unused)

I've been trying to go through YouTube instructional videos but the BIOS for each is different (and theyre all different from mine). Here are screenies of my BIOS:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Things i've tried are:

Under Advanced -> JumperFree Config. there are 2 plausible options. One is "Manual". The other is shown "AI Overclock". Manual settings allow me to manually change any frequency controls (also shown). "AI overclock" gives preset options.
I was unable to find anything "useful" about the "CPU CONFIG." sub-menu.

I have tried two things, both of which resulted in (after saving settings and exiting BIOS, thus causing my computer to restart) my computer attempting to boot up (i hear one beep), then failing to do so. I have tried setting the "AI overclock" to settings such as 10% and 20%, and I have also tried manually changing my FSB Speed to 1200.
My monitor is digital and will show "no signal" if it is not connected to my tower. However, upon attempting to boot up after these various modifications, my monitor will appear to have input (as indicated by an indicator light) but will be completely dark.

Can ANYBODY PLEASE give me step-by-step instruction on how to OC my machine??? I know it can give me more grunt, but so far all my pathetic attempts have resulted in me being forced to remove the CMOS battery to reset my BIOS. My tower is shiny clean, air-sprayed and such but I DONT UNDERSTAND why i can't modify it.

Thank you SOOOO much for anyone who helps this struggling new OC enthusiast.

Last edited:
CookieMaker, please accept my apologies on behalf of the forums for your post getting caught up by our anti-spam measures and Moderating your post. We also had problems getting the post approved, which is why it took so long for your post to appear. Hopefully we can get the big wheels at iNet to look at this issue and figure out what is going on with the forum software.

As for your overclocking problem, could you provide the motherboard manufacturer's name and the model number? That would help us to see how your board overclocks.

+1 mobo model and complete system specs would be helpful.

In my signature there are 3 overclocking guides. Whichever CPU you have, pick that guide and give it a read. :)

mobo model is Asus P5NSLI as shown in one of the screenies (#3)

Thanks for the replies so far, if anyone recognizes my BIOS lemme know

Last edited:
What cpu cooler do you have? Also disabling C1E will stop it from down clocking like its doing in the pic and will make it easier to OC.

THANKS! for the help thus far. UPDATES:

-I have disabled C1E, Virtualization (Vanderpool tech.), and Speedstep
--->core multiplier raised to 7 as a result
-I have manually set my memory timings to 6-6-6-18-24 as recommended

Here is what the option for increasing my FSB looks like. It is not "increased by 2-5 Mhz" at a time as most people mention, but rather wants a "target" speed set. I realize CPU-Z says my bus speed is 266.7 Mhz but inputting any number less than 1056 has no effect (as shown in images below).

As this is my first OC, I am hesitant to proceed as any guide i've looked at thus far always accounts for the Multiplier (mine is 7) and I am worried about increasing my FSB again without taking that into account. I know that the basic steps are to increase fsb, test for instability (what does this look like when testing w/ prime 95???), increase voltage until stable.

Can anyone give me some basic tips on doing this in very, very obvious, rookie terminology?

Last edited:
The 7X multi is the true multiplier for the 6300, when you had C1E and Eist enabled it down clocked your computer and slowed it down (energy saving feature). Have you read the C2D overclocking guide in EarthDogs sig? click on it and it will get you started.

Also you have not answered the most important question asked so far, What cpu cooler do you have? You need to have proper cooling in order to do a proper OC.

Last edited:
^^ thanks for reminding me. I have an "Intel Socket 775 Copper Core/Aluminum Heat Sink & 3.5" Fan w/4-Pin Connector up to Core 2 Duo 2.66 GH" which i believe is stock for my CPU. As I understand it a stock cooler will not be able to sufficiently cool my CPU for a strong overclock though should be fine for a minor OC.
I'm not sure if this makes any difference for the CPU, but my PC also is very well ventilated, with 4 external fans (+power unit fan +cpu cooling unit).
I did read through the guide, and am continuing to read the guide as I experiment. Despite how well laid out the guide is, it is a LOT of new information to absorb and understand all at once.

Ty for help, i will try my best to answer all of the questions while continuously researching

Last edited:
I just tried increasing the FSB speed up to 1100 (quad-pumped 275Mhz, equivalent of 1.925Ghz) but upon saving and restarting i got nothing but black screen again and had to reset the BIOS using the mobo battery. Gonna try only an increase to 268.75Hz.

Additional Comment:

IT RUNS! (shocked)
testing now with prime95 for 10 minutes.

Voltage settings are still on auto. According to CPU-Z core voltage is 1.344V.
running at 1.86Ghz (268.8Mhz x 7) 5 minutes into a prime-test

Test worked for 10. No issues at all with temp (52C, nowhere near the max of 61)

set the RAM lower?? i was under the impression that the ram i have can max out at 400Mhz. Could the issue be voltage to either ram or cpu? what would you suggest for those?

Additional Comment:

WEIRD just went into my BIOS and notice my DDR speed is actually down to 400 (403.1Mhz). I don't know why it magically changed itself...

gonna keep bumping up the fsb

EDIT UPDATE:
UGH just bumped my FSB up to 1080(=270Mhz = 1.89Ghz) and it didnt like that at all. Just got a series of LONG beeps when trying to boot up instead of the nice crisp single beep. Gonna reset the BIOS and try again.... suggestions greatly appreciated

edit: found out from http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm that the beeps usually mean a RAM problem, but i dont know how to account for it when increasing the FSB

UPDATE: edit: i'm trying the same test again (increase to 270MHz) with only 2 modules ports in parallel rather than all 4 slots filled.

edit: TEST successful, though computer seems to run slower? Any thoughts anyone?

Last edited:
Your RAM is holding you back, everytime you push up the FSB if you don't drop the RAM divider you are pushing up the RAM freq. and it cant go that high. This should have been covered in the link in his sig and how to work with it. One thing that you may be able to do and it help is loosen up your timing a bit to 7-7-7 and see if that will allow you to push up your fsb more, also check on the RAM sticks themselves for the voltage and see if they show higher than 1.8volts.

Edit: Looks like you are limited on voltage on the RAM http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148164

Last edited:
Limited on voltage on the RAM = can't increase RAM voltage?
The summary of the problems (as I see it) is that if I clock up my FSB then my RAM "cant keep up"
-> i dont know if this means i need to clock it down or up.
Also, it has been suggested that my motherboard is struggling with 4cards of 2gb of RAM. One proposed solution was to remove 2 of the cards and run the other 2 in parallel. Another solution (i think??) was to increase the voltage to the RAM.

I'm really not sure what the best course of action is here. Thus far the best I've gotten my cpu up to is 268.75Mhz (a 1% increase from 266.1). Cooling hasn't remotely been a problem as even after testing the new setting the max temp reached was 52*C.
I am about to install Windows 7- 64bit so i can take advantage of having more RAM available.

Any ideas for the best actions to take from here?

Yeah I did (it was very informative!) and I also got some outside RL help, unfortunately it seems my BIOS options really really limit how I can set my RAM speed and voltage. I can't decrease my RAm past 400Mhz (which it was already at on my best test) and my voltage settings actually increase RAM voltage by .1 each time (stupidly large increments, i know). The default setting for my ram is already 1.8V, which is also the top rating for my RAM so i am worried about pushing it up to 1.9V. I'm going to test to see if it runs again at 1.9V while pushing up the FSB and what kind of improvement it is. If it's not a significant OC (15% or so) i'm probably just not going to bother until I replace my mobo in the nearish future.

Back