• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help: Abit KT7a or MSI K7Ta, which one?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deadmeat

I'm looking to buy an kt133a m/b. So far I've looked into the Abit and MSI. The MSI is cheaper and more stable (?). The Abit give you more o/c features, but with the new MSI Bios update, it should be on part with the Abit.

Also, the MSI socket's has more room around it, meaning you can put a bigger heatsink on it. Is this a problem with the Abit???

Please give me you opinion. Any recommendation for another brand? I really don't need RAID, but even the MSI raid version is cheaper than the non-raid Abit.

Anyway, please tell me your opinion.

both boards are good. Asus , iWill and Soyo also make some
good boards.

Are you going with AMD CPU or Intel, it appears to be AMD.

I have Asus, Soyo and Solteck motherboards. None have
giving my any problems.

If you are looking a price vrs features and quality, then get the
MSI board.
If you want quality, with high price, for the Asus or iWill boards.

You don't mention what cpu have so I can't make a recommendation
on what ASUS or iWill board to get.

I run the ABIT KT7A-Raid and think its a awesome and really stable board. I cant speak for any of the others as this was the first PC I built with a view to overclocking. So all i can comment on is the ease of use from a first time builder. The Abit manual is well written and clearly laid out which makes setting up exceptionally easy, its true to say that some components are fairly close to the socket, however I would not view it as a problem and it probably helps to remind people like me to take care. I did have a few questions about the mobo and looked on the detailed and clear FAQ's on Abits site. I eventually emailed Abit, which got a quick and detailed responce from a real person and not a automated reply.. Im happy using a motherboard as good as this from a company that appears to value my custom. Great mobo

I run an ASUS A7V133, and this board is great, i has given me no problems whatsoever, you can overclock the **** out of this board and it is very stable as with the ABIT board...

rstarr (May 11, 2001 01:04 p.m.):

Are you going with AMD CPU or Intel, it appears to be AMD.

I will get the socket A T-bird. Probally an 800, or 850, or 900 mhz one.

Thanks guys, looks like many people has the Abit?

Have any of you run into the problem where your heatsink doesn't fit because of the close proximity of the surrounding capacitors to the cpu socket?

yes i got a chrome orb and had to grind doen 2 spots before it would fit,but the stock heatsink turned out to cool much better so i put it back on and ordered a black label fan to help it out.mebe some other guys could post their heatsink so you would know which fit the board.

Some of the bigger fans on the Abit KT7A will cause you to lose a DIMM, but only a few. Search for the MSI KT& Turbo Limited-its a good board and its RED, instead of the green like all other boards

JEFF (May 11, 2001 03:25 p.m.):
yes i got a chrome orb and had to grind doen 2 spots before it would fit,but the stock heatsink turned out to cool much better so i put it back on and ordered a black label fan to help it out.mebe some other guys could post their heatsink so you would know which fit the board.

Jeff,
what model Chrome Orb do you have? There are two different version it seems. One with a 69mm diameter, and a smaller one with 64mm diameter.

LikuidFusion (May 11, 2001 05:12 p.m.):
Some of the bigger fans on the Abit KT7A will cause you to lose a DIMM, but only a few. Search for the MSI KT& Turbo Limited-its a good board and its RED, instead of the green like all other boards

Fusion,
are you kidding me? A fan big enough to encroach the Dimm slot!! Man that gotta one huge fan to span like that! (I'm basing my question on the Abit's pix i'm seeing on their site).

Back