• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HELP: AMD A4-3400 Llano - no video / black screen w/driver update

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

m715

Trying to put together a cheap simple little system, BUT having video problems...Posting on a couple of forums hoping someone may have had this issues before...

System is as follows:
CPU - AMD A4-3400 Llano 2.7GHz Socket FM1 APU
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819106014
MB - MSI A55M-P33 FM1 AMD A55 (Hudson D2) Micro ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130641
RAM - - 4GB (2x2GB) Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600MHz
PS - Corsair 430w
DVD - LG
HD - Western Digital 120 GB 2.5" 5400 rpm

Installed:
(this is the 3rd attempt for windows 7, before I didn't do all the updates and was hoping that might have caused a problem)
1) Windows 7 then WIN 7 SP1
2) ethernet driver (from CD)
3) then download all windows updates (like 30 restarts later)
4) installed chipset drivers (from CD, restart)
5) right click update display adapter, let it download automatically
--> on restart BLACK SCREEN, shows the windows logo "starting windows", you can see it turn blue with the welcome then it turns to BLACK screen and there is no image.
This will also happen if you install AMD catalyst Suite 12.8.

Everything will run until you update the graphics driver to recognize the 6410D, on restart you get a black scree with no video signal, everything else seems to be still running. Tried connecting both VGA, DVI and DVI to HDMI

It will boot into safe mode, if I uninstall the graphics card driver it will boot back into windows and have signal again. But updating the driver will cause the black screen on restart (or blue screen on DVI to HDMI cable). The default display driver that loads with windows 7 will work, but its generic so no performance, i.e. windows graphics score = 1.0; right now under device manager it is listed as "other device" "Video Controller (VGA compatible)"

I tried:
- AMD Catalyst Display Driver, Win 7 64-bit, vr. 12.6 and 12.1 = black screen
- Updated to the latest BIOS v1.6 - 08/31/2012, tried AMD Catalyst vr. 12.8 = black screen on restart
- 24" widescreen and a 17" standard screen, different VGA cables, DVI to HDMI = black screen
- 1 stick of RAM vs 2; different RAM from my working computer
- Different known good 700w power supply
- I tried disabling windows AERO and went to basic setting, it did boot, saw the blue welcome screen and then the screen went black as I saw the desktop.

I don't have any video cards at the moment to try...

Seems like some sort of driver conflict, but at this point I'm running out of ideas...:bang head

Any thoughts would be great!

Do you have a dedicated card you can use to test?

When it comes to GPUs, what you're describing is a dead GPU.
Whether that transfers to APUs or not I don't know.
It might be worth taking the CPU/APU out and putting it back in, it may have gotten bad contact with the pins.

yup, good point by Bobnova. Check them pins.

m715, Im testing a A6 3core APU now.

These are great value for the money for guys using the integrated graphics platform.

Can those Corsair RAMs do 1866? If yes, go ahead. You'll notice some frame rates increase.

Thanks for the ideas...

howdy.
1) Have u tried to go into BIOS --> load default settings?
2) I usually install all drivers (most updated ones) before and Windows updates.

- Tried resetting BIOS to defaults, still get the black screen
- I generally update the drivers 1st as well, but that caused the black screen right away, I was hoping for some reason installing all the updates would help...
- Pulled the CPU, used air to blow out the socket, re-seated, still black screen of death

- I don't have a dedicated graphics card to try, sold my old one and have been holding out to buy a 7770 or 7870 for my main computer

These are the general drivers I have tried:

Default generic driver is: (this works)
Standard VGA Graphics Adapter
Driver Provider: Microsoft
Driver Date: 6/21/2006
Driver Version: 6.1.7600.16385

Windows Driver with Automatic Update: (=black screen)
AMD Radeon HD 6410D
Driver Provider: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Driver Date: 10/25/2011
Driver Version: 8.911.0.0

AMD Catalyst 12.8 Driver: (=black screen)
AMD Radeon HD 6410D
Driver Date: 7/27/2012
Driver Version: 8.982.0.0

Still seems like a driver problem works "ok" with the 2006, but newer versions cause black screen of death:bang head
Maybe at this point its some kinda of hardware failure?? APU or motherboard?

Any other ideas?

That really sounds like a hardware issue in the APU itself. It's possible in theory that it's on the motherboard.

Can you run some memory tests? Hyperpi 32m and Memtest86+ are where I would start.

That really sounds like a hardware issue in the APU itself. It's possible in theory that it's on the motherboard.

Can you run some memory tests? Hyperpi 32m and Memtest86+ are where I would start.

Thanks,
Ok, will run the tests next.

Other odd thing I just noticed, I usually use CPUID HWMonitor to watch the CPU temps, it is reading the AMD A4-3400 as: Low-5C (41F), High-21C (70F) which can't be right. Just grabbed a 2nd monitor program core temp, also reads the same...

Running Hyperpi 32m - max power-50.85 watts, max temp-28C (83F)
- 32M calculation @ 24m 41.067s

Last edited:

@Bob
Could be the new Catalyst team pulling another "AMD WTFBBQ driver" moment...
5x00 series with dual monitor has flickered when overclocked for 1 1/2 years now....:rolleyes:

@op
Have you tried older video drivers too? ex. 11.12?
So, you are completely fine until you install video drivers? No crashes or anything?

Like Bobnova says, and since the GPU inside your 3400 APU accesses system memory to help render its display output, you might want to try running some memory tests. For this specific platform, Prime95 on Blend setting should do the trick even when Memtest86+ doesn't...usually if it is a major problem it will crash out with "ROUNDING ERROR" in a few minutes.

Let us know how it goes,
Sam :)

EDIT:
I see you passed HyperPi. Did you only set up 1 thread? Regardless, your memory is relatively stable, if not proven completely stable yet. I think it is safe to say your black screen issues are not memory related.

> So, you are completely fine until you install video drivers? No crashes or anything?
Yep, everything runs fine, netflix will apparently even stream, no crashes...

- Tried AMD Catalyst Display Driver 11.12 = black screen

Memtest86+
- I did find 1 of my corsair sticks is apparently dying after 1.5 yrs of use... (had tested overnight ~1.5yrs ago in my other computer); so pulled that memory tossed in the 8GB that came with this combo deal: G-Skill ARES 1600MHz, ran Memtest86+ overnight 7+ hours no problems. On restart w/updated drivers = black screen of death

- Runs Prime95 on Blend, ran it for awhile over breakfast

- Turned on sharing and remote desktop, on restart with updated graphic drivers = black screen and NO connection or sharing available

At this point I'm thinking my graphics portion of the APU is a dud:bang head

I don't have any dedicated graphics cards...sold all my old cards, in prep of getting a 7770 or 7870...

Will contact newegg later today and see what they say...

Last edited:
These are the general drivers I have tried:

Default generic driver is: (this works)
Standard VGA Graphics Adapter
Driver Provider: Microsoft
Driver Date: 6/21/2006
Driver Version: 6.1.7600.16385

Windows Driver with Automatic Update: (=black screen)
AMD Radeon HD 6410D
Driver Date: 10/25/2011
Driver Version: 8.911.0.0

AMD Catalyst 12.8 Driver: (=black screen)
AMD Radeon HD 6410D
Driver Date: 7/27/2012
Driver Version: 8.982.0.0

Still seems like a driver problem works "ok" with the 2006, but newer versions cause black screen of death:bang head
Maybe at this point its some kinda of hardware failure?? APU or motherboard?

Any other ideas?

I dont think its the apu hardware. Cos if so, driver versions shouldnt matter, it wont function anyways. least what I have experienced so far.

Yes try testing the memory. That igp is very dependent on RAM.
- Voltage settings are right?
- Latency fine?
- Bios latest version?
- Cleared CMOS?

Let us know...

I dont think its the apu hardware. Cos if so, driver versions shouldnt matter, it wont function anyways. least what I have experienced so far.

Yes try testing the memory. That igp is very dependent on RAM.
- Voltage settings are right?
- Latency fine?
- Bios latest version?
- Cleared CMOS?

Let us know...

- CMOS has been cleared
- Lastest BIOS has been installed

After putting the 8GB in all setting were on auto, I didn't even notice the speed when I went up last night. BUT looking at Memtest86+ shows its not running as fast as it should...
RAM: 667 MHz (DDR-1334) / CAS : 9-9-9-24 / DDR3 (64 bits)

Manually setting ram to 1600 MHz / 1.5v / 9-9-9-24, Memtest86+ yields:
RAM: 400 MHz (DDR-800) / CAS : 11-11-11-28 / DDR3 (64 bits)
- so basically the RAM won't go past 1333 MHz no matter what i set, it always goes back to DDR-800

Tried my good corsair 1600 2GB stick with same results won't go past 1333 MHz, if you set manually goes to DDR-800 / 9-11-11-29

EDIT: ok so I was confused...RAM is ok, DDR-800 is 1600 MHz

What does this mean?

This was my 1st build with an AMD CPU since my old Athlon 1700 with an intermittent PSU problem :screwy:

My computer knowledge isn't the best, but I've built 5 computers and upgraded another 5 or 6 this year. I've run into problems and odd things but nothing like this...it shouldn't be this hard :bang head

Last edited:
Just talked to newegg...I'm screwed, I sent in the $10 rebate on the MSI motherboard (after I had it up and initially running with the default driver), BUT because I sent in the driver they won't exchange it now :bang head:bang head

So any other ideas? Think I'll go post on MSI forums and see what they say...

Thanks for all the ideas, believe it or not I finally accidentally fixed it.

I just got in a new cheap mid tower case today, a cooler master elite 430, the ONLY thing I hadn't swapped out was the case. So it a last ditch effort I moved all the parts over and what do you know it booted and is now running AMD CCC vr. 12.8 :D

I am still not sure what it was, maybe a power connector wasn't fully seated (although I think they were all checked at least twice), maybe some sort of odd grounding problem with the motherboard. The case was an old recycled dell inspiron 530 I have for testing and it has the dimpled stand offs which are a bit larger than the screw in ones...

I'm not sure what but everything seems good now so far...knock on wood!

For under $125 total investment (recycled HD) it seems like a pretty good little machine now that its running.

howdy.

1st Im glad the problems gone.

2nd Im sure curious as hell what the issue was....
Yes grounding is 1 possibility..but...
dang?....:screwy:

Now, enjoy that apu.:cool:

I would like to know exactly what the problem was as well it drove me nuts:bang head
All I can think of is grounding issues with the dell's dimple standoffs or one of the power connectors not quite seated right:confused:

Now that its working I tossed in a Kingston Hyper X 3k SSD, its now a pretty solid budget system for a total investment of about $180, streams very well to the 40" LCD TV:cool:

For the fun of it I put on Guild Wars 2 and it is playable on low settings:shock:

Attachments

• AMD1.jpg
    AMD1.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 777
  • AMD4.jpg
    AMD4.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 2,133
It's certainly possible for the dimples to cause issues, or maybe they weren't quite tall enough, or something.

In any case, I'm glad you got it sorted!

Back