• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help, Athlon xp mobile 2400, wont go past 1200 mhz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jay2472000

Registered
Hi everyone, hopefully one of you can help me with my problem. I have an Athlon xp mobile 2400, Biostar M7NCD-Pro mobo, 512 stick of Mushkin DDR, older power supply, 3 hard drives (really old 13 gig maxtor for OS, and 2 80 gig WD), and a toshiba DVD-r drive. No matter what settings I use in the motherboard setup (bios? cant remember the right term) I cannot get it past about 1200 mhz. Ive tried everything. It will go with a 200 mhz fsb and a 6 multiplier, or it will do 133 fsb with 9 multiplier, etc. No matter what combination of multipliers and fsb speeds I choose, 1200 seems to be the limit. I tried 10 multiplier and 100 mhz fsb, and wouldnt boot. Wth some of the settings above 1200 mhz, it will almost start windows. (After boot screen I see desktop for about 2 seconds, then locks) Ive played with the voltage going to the processor, everything from 1.65 volts to 1.8 volts. Any suggestions? I havent done a bios update yet, also in default mode the processor shows up as a 600 mhz. Thanks in advance.

Anyone?

Anyone have any ideas about this? Please help me its driving me nuts. Thank you.

do u have the right jumpers set correctly on the mobo?

I remember my brothers axp2200+. i had to change the jumpers to make it run at 1.8GHz, as it was at 1.3 before

o sorry missed u stated that u have the fsb over 133. my bad, i dont know then sorry

More information required (type of psu and voltage readings, as well as temperatures of cpu and system) - I would be tempted to say it was either your psu at fault or your cpu getting too hot due to a faulty install of heat sink. However the jumper possibility is definitely worth looking into as well although I dont think it would cause instablility especially as it fails at 10 x 100 (lowest possible fsb). As for the default it should be 6 x 100 as that is what a mobile will show up as on a desktop system so dont worry about that. BTW welcome to the forums!

Also, your mobo may not be compatible with mobile CPUs. Try a bios update(check to see if mobile CPU are supported).

You shouldnt have to change vcore to obtain a stock clock of a CPU. Something else is wrong here, doesnt sound like the CPU is at fault. But, if you think it is, try and RMA it as long as you didnt try to OC it and screw it up yourself.

Just as a side note, got my non-moble 2400+ up to 2.4 ghz with 1.85v with 200 FSBx12. That is why I dont think it is your CPU, sounds like a mobo problem.

Not sure of the powers upply, It is an old one though. According to motherboard monitor my voltages are correct . (exact settings slip my mind, something like 1.58 vcore for the cpu, right at 12 volts both ways, and 3.3 checksout pretty close also. If you need the exact specs Ill post those too) The memory is pc3200 mushking, one stick of 512 if that helps also. I know the mobo supports faster speeds as Ive read threads here on how to unlock the multiplier using this board and chip, if you need/want to go above 12.5 multiplier.

Doh, forgot temps, lol. according to MBM, processor is at 43 degrees, reaches about 55 when in use.

Back