• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help choosing GFX card

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RIPSTER

A friend of mine has asked me to choose him a new GFX card, he has a P4 rig, the card must be AGP. He is currently running an ATI 9250 so anything will be better :p, he plays FPS mainly e.g. Halo and some RTS e.g. Command and Conquer.

I was looking at 6600's and came across this, it seems pretty good but I was wondering how the 7 series run compared to this one.

The choices on Ebuyer are quite limited when it comes to AGP cards, so if anyone knows a better UK supplier of cards then please tell.

thanks in advance

RIPSTER

I just came across this it seems like a real gem and for that price, anyone else got an opinion?

here in the states we can get 7600gs and i think x1900's for agp.. you might look into them..

I think the 6800gs is just right, anything faster is overkill for a p4 system. BTW that's a great price too.

dan

thanks a lot guys, hes ordered the 6800GS, should be coming on tuesday, ill post back about performance

Ok the card arrived and theres a few problems, after installing the card and drivers I tried playing Halo, the initial starting videos are sometimes laggy and sometimes it freezes on the final video, the one time that It did get to the menu in certain places on the screen were odd colours that flashed, are these called artifacts? also when in windows the screen sometimes switches of saying no signal only to switch back on, there are also artifacts in windows.

When I try downloading the latest Nvidia ForceWare drivers the setup displays an error saying that "the nvidia setup program could not locate any drivers that are compatible with your current hardware, setup will now exit"

Does anyone know what could be causing all this, is the card faulty? im thinking the it may be the PSU im currently using a "Win Power" 450W PSU, I dont know much about this make but it certainly isnt a reputable manufacturer

thnx in advance

I dont that and the artifacts still happen and I still cannot install the newest forceware drivers. :(

RIPSTER said:

All else fails, reformat. Might not work, but eliminates a lot of possibilities... After that, get the newest of every driver. If that doesn't work, RMA.
Dan

Back