• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help in overclocking Athlon II x 2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

karikapu

Registered
hi i need some help in overclocking my CPU. i was able to OC it to 3.5Ghz and made it stable. i tried maxing it out and was able to make it at 3.9Ghz with 1.525v FSB at 260 cpu/nb at 2600 and ht link at 1820, but when i check and tested its stability on intel burn test it wouldnt even pass the 1st test and i get BSOD right away. i already tried adjusting the c.voltage to 1.725 from 1.525 with increments of .25v and im still getting the same thing. im wondering on how can i make it stable or is 3.5Ghz my max stable OC with this CPU?

thanks in advance for the kind response. :)

by the way i got ASUS M5A78L-M LX3 for my MOBO, Athlon IIx2 250 regor 3.5Ghz,coolermaster gemin II S524 for my cpu cooler, ASUS GTX660 OC edition for GPU. i normally get 39c on my current setup on idle and 52c on prime95.

Going to need screen shots of Cpu-z all the tabs open at your current stable 3.5ghz please.

Welcome to the forums BTW!

Please attach screen shots directly to your post rather than link to image shack. That is easier for those helping you. There is a built in forum tool for doing this if you click on "Go Advanced" at the bottom of any new post window and then click on the paperclip tool at the top.

I'd like to see a screen shot of the cpu-z spd tab too if you can....Ram looks good, but I'd like to see more info about them.

What I'd do, is lower the HT and NB a little and see how that goes, or add voltage to the cpu/nb and HT.

Cpu voltage looks good for the clock speed so you don't need more ATM.

here are all the 3 tabs that you requested.. :) this is my stable OC and its 3.5Ghz
cpuz.jpg

the picture below is my target but i cant get it to stabilize
my target.jpg

but whenever i do that on my RIG it will boot up but when i try the intel burn test i doesnt even pass 1 test and goes to BSOD right away. am i doing something wrong? or 3.5Ghz would be my max? coz im sure my CPU fan can handle the heat and with my case cooling system, and by the way i only got a handful of choices when changing the CPU/NB frequency and the HT link frequency but im not sure which to pick to make the 3.90 stable.

Last edited:
Your memory timings are too tight, you need to set them to the same settings as the jedec#4 column in CPUz (9-9-9-25)

Also drop your CPU/NB multiplier down to x9 (2340)

Last edited:
Your memory timings are too tight, you need to set them to the same settings as the jedec#4 column in CPUz (9-9-9-25)

Also drop your CPU/NB multiplier down to x9 (2340)

im trying to OC this using the AMD overdrive, but when i tried changing the timings to 9-9-9-25 but CAS is grayed out.
timings.jpg

i can also change the CPU NB multiplier using that software to x9 but wouldnt that lower down my CPU clock overall from 3.5Ghz? and my target is the 3.90Ghz . this is what you mean right?
CPU NB .jpg

Last edited:
Your on the completely wrong settings, I'm talking about the CPU/NB multiplier, not the CPU multi and I'm talking about the memory timings, not the ram ratio divider, you need to look in your bios for a setting called dram timings and adjust the numbers in there to 9-9-9-25 (they are usually the first 4 numbers in the list) and look for a CPU/NB option, usually near the CPU multi and ht multi options, and change that to x9, you have it set on x10

Your on the completely wrong settings, I'm talking about the CPU/NB multiplier, not the CPU multi and I'm talking about the memory timings, not the ram ratio divider, you need to look in your bios for a setting called dram timings and adjust the numbers in there to 9-9-9-25 (they are usually the first 4 numbers in the list) and look for a CPU/NB option, usually near the CPU multi and ht multi options, and change that to x9, you have it set on x10

im sorry im a complete newbie when it comes to overclocking so i dont know where to find what. i thought i just need to set the FSB to an acceptable rate and thats it. and oh are you trying to help me with the 3.5Ghz? coz my target is this one but i cant get it to become stable.
my target.jpg

No problem, everyone was newbie once, that's the challenge when overclocking a limited CPU multi, like your athlon has (max15),,,, first thing, dump amd overdrive (no good for stable oc setting) I'm afraid your going to have to roll your sleeves up and delve into your bios, I know it looks daunting but its basically AOD just layed out different and 50x more stable, you will be able to set your timings in it and you're CPU speed is independent from your nb speed so if you change one it doesn't change the other, that's what the fsb does, every clock is linked to the fsb via a multiplier/ratio so if you raise the fsb that in turn raises every other clock

i was actually able to change the dram timings to 9-9-9-25 here's a pic of it.
dram.jpg

im still trying to find the settings for the CPU/NB multiplier on my bios. this is for the 3.5GHz right?

for some reason i cant really find the CPU/NB multiplier on my bios i've already checked every inch of it... what else do i need to do? and did you see my target OC keny? would that be possible in mine?

This is for the 3.9ghz, the one that's unstable

oh.. im sorry i thought this is for the 3.5Ghz im really sorry mate. ill change the FSB to 260 now and ill show you what i got. :) and thanks for helping me out i really appreciate it.

CPU/NB wants lowering to 2000 to see if that's causing issues and you're mem speed is low now, you need to knock up to the next level (whatever that is in your bios)

Edit : have you tested that for stability ?

Back