• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me choose 1 of 3 Lian Li cases - Please!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hopefully it will be here on Friday. Don't expect my first install to look as clean as Mu||et's! It will take me a few tries to get it clean (and I have 6HD's to clutter it up)

:cool:

No pics yet, but I'm realy liking the case! I did feel the need to add the 120mm "PCI" exhaust fan, and I have a Thermalright HR-05 IFX and a SB Sink on the way to replace the stock Maximus sinks, so I'll be ripping the whole PC back apart :rolleyes:

I also replaced the stock 120mm fans with those new Scythe Slipstream fans with the smaller center hubs (3x 1200RPM versions and 1x 1600RPM for the CPU). The case is very stylish and has PLENTY of room for all of my goodies!

I thought the aluminum would be thicker, but it feels slightly flimsy at first (especially the MoBo tray). But once everything is mounted, it feels solid IMO. It also appears the Black Aluminum is "anodized" from what I can tell (not painted) so it is a very durable finish.

Overall, I think these cases *might* be a bit overpriced (especially once you add in the front HD Bay and the PCI Fan I paid extra for - I paid about $300 total!!!), but they are nice - no doubt about that. No regrets...

I'll try to get my act together soon and post some pics after I instal the new NB/SB Sinks (oh yaeh, and the 4x 1TB 7200.11 HD's in RAID 5 :eek: )...

Thanks for all of your input...

How about the space for power supply? Can it accommodate longer power supply (1KW)??
Glad that you really enjoy your new case.. Looking forward to your pictures..:)

Some PICS!

Finally, some rough pics. I still plan on cleaning up some of the wiring...
Front/Back:

With and w/o the PCI Vent Fan:

I added a Front HD Bay, and cut-away the restrictive aluminum in front of the HD Bay's fan to allow maximum airflow and removed the air filter screen (I clean my case often). I also painted the aluminum-colored parts that were visible through the front with flat black paint, and added a separate red HD LED for my RAID-5 array (in the upper right hole of the front HD Bay - pretty inconspicuous unless it is lit ). I plan on painting the bottom fan bracket flat black very soon (you can clearly see it through the front grille in the pics - it is bright silver!).

I also added the 120mm Rear PCI Vent Fan, and replaced ALL 120mm fans with those new 120mm Scythe Slipstrem fans (with the small center hub and sleeved wires). I used the 1200RPM models for Front/Mid/Exhaust, and used the 1600RPM for the CPU. I left the Lian-Li 140mm fan in the bottom intake - it is fine for the bottom compartment.

Then, I added the HR-05-IFX Northbridge cooler w/80mm fan and the SLF-1 Southbridge cooler. MAN - getting the stock sinks off the Maximus Formula was S-C-A-R-Y!!!!!! I had to fight with it for a while, and all of the sudden, "SNAP" - it popped off (and shortened my life a few hours I'm sure!). The new setup cools the NB/SB substantially better (5*-10*) and I just feel better about these temps ...

The crappy thing is as I was cleaning out the PC for these pics, somehow I lost one of my 1TB 7200.11 HD's. It is now DEAD! It freezes the system when connected in the array or connected as a solo drive to the ICH9R :( . I RMA'd it and I already have a replacement on the way from mwave ($189 shipped!). I sync'ed my NAS earlier today, so I just mapped my NAS's folders to replace my local RAID array!!! My PC doesn't know the difference (Bit Torrent, iTunes and all are chugging along just fine). I love being backed-up :p ...

PS - Yahonmaizosz - I measure exactly 9.25" from the rear of the case to the 2nd HD Bay. My PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610 has plenty of room. If you needed to, you could probably remove the 2nd HD Bay to allow ANY PSU to fit in there with ease. That would still leave 3 HD Bays down low and plenty of 5.25" Bays up front for further HD's...

Rock and Roll!

Finally, some rough pics. I still plan on cleaning up some of the wiring...
Front/Back:

With and w/o the PCI Vent Fan:

I added a Front HD Bay, and cut-away the restrictive aluminum in front of the HD Bay's fan to allow maximum airflow and removed the air filter screen (I clean my case often). I also painted the aluminum-colored parts that were visible through the front with flat black paint, and added a separate red HD LED for my RAID-5 array (in the upper right hole of the front HD Bay - pretty inconspicuous unless it is lit ). I plan on painting the bottom fan bracket flat black very soon (you can clearly see it through the front grille in the pics - it is bright silver!).

I also added the 120mm Rear PCI Vent Fan, and replaced ALL 120mm fans with those new 120mm Scythe Slipstrem fans (with the small center hub and sleeved wires). I used the 1200RPM models for Front/Mid/Exhaust, and used the 1600RPM for the CPU. I left the Lian-Li 140mm fan in the bottom intake - it is fine for the bottom compartment.

Then, I added the HR-05-IFX Northbridge cooler w/80mm fan and the SLF-1 Southbridge cooler. MAN - getting the stock sinks off the Maximus Formula was S-C-A-R-Y!!!!!! I had to fight with it for a while, and all of the sudden, "SNAP" - it popped off (and shortened my life a few hours I'm sure!). The new setup cools the NB/SB substantially better (5*-10*) and I just feel better about these temps ...

The crappy thing is as I was cleaning out the PC for these pics, somehow I lost one of my 1TB 7200.11 HD's. It is now DEAD! It freezes the system when connected in the array or connected as a solo drive to the ICH9R :( . I RMA'd it and I already have a replacement on the way from mwave ($189 shipped!). I sync'ed my NAS earlier today, so I just mapped my NAS's folders to replace my local RAID array!!! My PC doesn't know the difference (Bit Torrent, iTunes and all are chugging along just fine). I love being backed-up :p ...

PS - Yahonmaizosz - I measure exactly 9.25" from the rear of the case to the 2nd HD Bay. My PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610 has plenty of room. If you needed to, you could probably remove the 2nd HD Bay to allow ANY PSU to fit in there with ease. That would still leave 3 HD Bays down low and plenty of 5.25" Bays up front for further HD's...

Rock and Roll!

Very clean and neat setup! 2 Thumbs UP!! :beer::beer:

Thx for confirming the PSU size.. Appreciate it..

Looking forward to any update that you will have with your case.. :beer:

PC-V1010 Mid Tower - New Design! (I like the 120mm Chipset cooler):
http://www.lian-li.com/v2/en/product...ndex=62&g=spec

Just built my machine last week with this case. Absolutely LOVE it, 3 large fans, 6 HD bays, fancy schmancy HD mounting grommets. Really impressed with this one (my second lian-li case BTW). Picked mine up from

http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata..._result&search_in_description=1&keyword=v1010

cheap shipping (18 bucks I think and it came from FLA in 3 or 4 days.

---------------------------------

Lian-Li PC-V1010B Aluminum Mid case, black $268.00, OCZ3RPR1600GK 4GB PC3-12800+ (DDR3-1600) DDR3 Memory $300.00, EVGA 132-CK-NF79-A1 nVidia nForce 790i Ultra SLI Core 2 Quad/Core2 Extreme/Core 2 Duo/Pentium Socket 775 1600 MHz PC3-1600 (DDR3-2000) ATX Motherboard $310.00, EVGA 512-P3-N872-AR GeForce 9800 GTX 700 MHz CoreClock 512 GDDR3 PCI Express x 16 (2.0v) Video Card $199.00, Intel Core 2 Duo Quad 2.83 GHz 1333 MHz 775 2 x 6MB Desktop Processor (Quad Q9550) $588.00, Samsung SH-S203B/BEBN 20x DVD Burner $23.00, Auznetech X-Fi Prelude 7.1 Sound Card $179.00, Sabrent Internal 64-in-1 Multi Flash Media Card Reader $14.00, PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Watt Quad PCI-Express SATA Ready Red Power Supply $125.00, 2 - Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 750GB hard Drive - 7200, 32MB, SATA-300 Hard Drives $129.00 each.[/SIZE]

Last edited:
Man...Nice job...May be my next case.

A question if you do not mind.

Does the power supply get its air from the bottom of the case ???

Or does it just flow from the front past the hard drives and into the power supply area ???

Props again on a very nice build.

Making H-Town look good !!!!!!

"Making H-Town look good !!!!!!" - LOL! Thanks for the props, guys :) This was the first time I went "all-out" on a case/install, and the feedback is making me all warm and tingly :p ...

On the PSU Airflow question - I'd say it depends on the ratio of intake fan CFM to PSU Exhaust Fan CFM. If the Intake has a higher CFM (I'd assume so) then you will slightly pressurize the bottom compartment forcing air through the PSU and also forcing air out of the vent holes in the bottom. The 2 compartments aren't exactly sealed from each other (wire openings, etc), so it is good to keep the bottom bay on the positive pressure side IMO. However, if the front intake fan is on the lowest speed, then I guess the PSU might suck in some fresh air from those bottom vents.

Rock and Roll. I'll post pics if I change anything (I'm sure I will - I can't leave anything alone! :rolleyes: ) Now, I think I will clean up my NAS and see how sexy I can make it :)

Super clean dude, looks great. We both did the same thing to our NB, pain in the *** eh?

Back