• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me upgrade my rig

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MorePower!

I'm thinking of adding these parts into my current build:

However the 600$ price tag is a bit too much for me. Can you suggest alternatives that would lower the price? Also I'm not 100% sure these parts are compatible (kind of a newb at picking parts).

I plan on running 1 gpu for gaming. Its a 7870 xt with two 6 pin connections.

What do I want in my parts?

case: ease of access and not having to rip metal apart in order to build the pc. I prefer a mid atx or full atx box.
mobo: ability to overclock and run 1 gpu. Good company to back up the product.
processor: ability to overclock and be under 250$.
psu: ability to run 1 high end gpu plus all the other normal stuff.
cooling: air cooling is acceptable to me. I think I read that you can use hyper 212 on the 1150 socket even though its not specificed to be able to do so on the specifications of the evo 212 for instance. However I'm unsure of which exact model I should pick for this and how simple it is to install since its not meant for 1150 socket.

The ideal price tag would be under 500$.

Last edited:
The 212 Evo installs the same on 1156, 1155, and 1150. The mounting holes are the same.

As for your other question I can't help you because you've used newegg. Those partslists require a username and password to read, which we, the rest of the forum, will not have.

Either just type the names and prices of the parts out, or use PCPartpicker, save your list, and cut and paste the URL it gives you.

I will come back to this thread once you list your parts.

I see no reason to spend this money. The PSU you have now is a bit better than the one in your price list. Your current case is likely fine, and your current CPU is not much worse than a 4670K. a few % slower and no PCIE gen 3. Fewer SATA 6 ports... Is it really worth upgrading? To me it's only worth upgrading to Haswell if you have a 1st gen i5/i7 or earlier CPU. For you there is no point in upgrading. Also, the cooler you chose is meant for tiny ITX cases. At very least, you should pick up a Hyper 212 EVO by coolermaster.

Why don't you take the money you were going to spend and just get a good SSD for your system? Or maybe upgrade your GPU? Only at the very top end ( 780Ti for example) will you suffer the consequences of your PCIE Gen 2 link, and even then, only a couple % performance hit.

Not worth upgrading. The only meaningful upgrade for you would be a 4930K and X79 board. And that won't help in gaming.

I guess I could just get a new mobo. The motivation for thinking of upgrading to haswell was that my UEFI bios is messed up and even though I flashed the bios the problem still remains. The problem is that I can't modify my DRAM timings at all and the settings are stuck on timings that aren't correct. My ram should be 9-9-9-24 and my bios is stuck on 11-11-11-28. Prob a new mobo would fix this?

edit: What about this mobo? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157293

Is that compatible with all my parts?

I guess I could just get a new mobo. The motivation for thinking of upgrading to haswell was that my UEFI bios is messed up and even though I flashed the bios the problem still remains. The problem is that I can't modify my DRAM timings at all and the settings are stuck on timings that aren't correct. My ram should be 9-9-9-24 and my bios is stuck on 11-11-11-28. Prob a new mobo would fix this?

edit: What about this mobo? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157293

Ya that mobo is compatible. Decent board. Get the mobo and maybe an SSD. Spend it on upgrades not replacements. JM2C.

Go with this Mobo

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128671

*edit* Question: Did you use XMP to change the RAM timings to those advertised on the package? If not, thats likely your problem, either way the board I linked is amazing and packed with so many great features.

Last edited:
Go with this Mobo

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128671

*edit* Question: Did you use XMP to change the RAM timings to those advertised on the package? If not, thats likely your problem, either way the board I linked is amazing and packed with so many great features.

Yeah that would be a great board, if he had a Haswell cpu. There was a socket change in there.

Don't know if I would "upgrade" to a soon to be out of date chipset just to be able to adjust memory timings. I'd put the money into 2x8GB 2400 DDR3 team memory or something. The timings will be around what you have now but much faster. SSD for sure if you don't have one. A nice case, psu, or cooler. CPU, MB, GPU at this point I would hold off on for a while as what have is still good and new stuff on the horizon.

I agree with Theocnoob, I see no reason to upgrade the 2500k it's still a viable chip. If you're having issues with your motherboard the Asrock Z77 is a pretty good board for the price. I have one with a 2500k on it and it works great.

Yeah that would be a great board, if he had a Haswell cpu. There was a socket change in there.

Don't know if I would "upgrade" to a soon to be out of date chipset just to be able to adjust memory timings. I'd put the money into 2x8GB 2400 DDR3 team memory or something. The timings will be around what you have now but much faster. SSD for sure if you don't have one. A nice case, psu, or cooler. CPU, MB, GPU at this point I would hold off on for a while as what have is still good and new stuff on the horizon.

I didnt see the part where he decided to stay with the 2500k, I was going by the parts he had in his image which included a haswell cpu.

Back