• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help! My windows xp says my radeon 9800 pro is a 9600 xt

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Tb0y said:
dam. i guess i just have to buy one from frys and swap it..usually those kind of things work there. wish me luck
Don't combat immorality with more immorality. I would go to CC and explain the situation to them. Just because you got screwed doesn't mean should try to screw someone else. Best that that 9600XT ends up where it belongs; in a 9600XT box.

CC will take back any hardware within 30 days, money-back guarentee. I bought a GB of KHX PC4000 and returned it no questions asked a week later. Anyways, you can return it surely and explain the situation if need be. CC is a very good vendor and reputable IMO.

Yeah give it a try, and you don't need a receipt (that is why I usually get stuff from them) they keep it in the computer I think you just need to give them your phone number or name(don't remenber right now).

^^^
^^^
^^^ exactly - do that and i will frown on you foreve, and then the next joe blow gets stuck with your problem, that is not really fair for them....

Why dont you take the card in say hey - i bought this from you - plug it into your system and tell me what card it says it is

basically SHOW them the problem.

Goateh said:
Oh .. my.. god... :(

How the hell can people make mistakes like that :confused:

i don't think it was a mistake, probably some broke punk with a shrink wrapper bought the 9800pro and exchanged it with his 9600XT, and shrink wrapped it so CC wouldn't open it the package, then CC thinkin it was unopened put it back on the shelf.... a very likely scenario

just like buddy boy above was gona do to frys... same thing mostlikely

Hi

I can not see the problem

you seem to have ordered a 9800 pro and recieved a 9600xt. It does not matter if you opened the box! CC should apologise and exchange it.

have i missed a post or is it this simple?

It is very posible that it was returned in such fasshion but I fear you may not be able to return it if you sent in for the rebate because you usually have to send that ...what the hell is it called.... bar code part.

hmm the card i got was brand new with the plastic strips wrapped around it and everything inside wus sealed.

Have you checked the serial # to match it with the company that build the card to find out which one you got. Software can lie over and over again.

yes i checked my serial number on the ati site and it says it's a 9800 pro. the barcode sticker on the card even says so...hmm =/

Sniper_83 said:
It is very posible that it was returned in such fasshion but I fear you may not be able to return it if you sent in for the rebate because you usually have to send that ...what the hell is it called.... bar code part.

Proof of purchase.

Tboy give it a try it and go to CC it won't hurt.

Do mean that it could be his computer not recognizing it correctly, if that's what your mean, it couldn't be because of the clock speed of the card are of a 9600XT.

if you send it back to ATi chances are theyll give you a 9800p for it if you explain your situation, and this way it doesnt interfear with the rebate. if you can show them the reciept where it says you bought a 9800p, tell them it was all wrapped up tight and is a 9600xt and it might have been a packaging mix up, ATi should take it back simple as that, you ahvent even tryed returning it yet?

I doubt anyone is going to take this card back. It is a well known scam to buy an expensive product and a cheap product and return the cheap one in the expensive one's box. Or buy a new product and put your non-functioning product in the box and return it. Or in the link JCLW posted, replace it with NOTHING or potatoes. There is no way for the store or ATI to know if you are the scammer or the one who got screwed by the scam. All they know is you are trying to return a 9600XT in a 9800pro box (with the added bonus of already sending in the rebate). You may catch the store manager on a good day (or trying to get fired) and they will take it back, but I wouldn't count on it.

Sorry, but in the future make 100% sure you are happy with a product before sending in the rebate forms. You may have been able to convince the store manager of what happened if the UPC had still been on the box, but they are not supposed to accept ANY returns without a UPC.

Also, if the person who originally purchased this was thorough they would have put 9800pro serial number STICKER on the 9600XT. It wouldn't be hard to do that.

Back