• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help Needed on New Build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Maglin

I'm looking to build a new rig for the purpose of 3D CAD Modeling. I'm going to need some serious HP and need to not break the bank. So i7 is definitely the route I'm going. I've been out of the HardWare scene for some time and just want some help with this build.

Current Rig:
Q6600 @ 3.6 ghz
Maximus Rampage Asus MB
8GB DDR 2
Saphire 6850
Decathalon 850w PSU

All under watar. D-Tec Fusion CPU with EK North, South, and Fet blocks.

I'm wanting to obvesouly OC this thing and also be able to play some games. Also 32GB of RAM is a must. So here is what I have so far:

Project Rig:
i7-3930K 3.2ghz Six Core
ASUS Rampage IV Extreme X79 Board
G.Skill Ripjaws Z series 8x4GB PC3 17000 (intend on running Quad Channel)
G.Skill Memory Fans (not to sure how many I need)
Crucial M4 256GB SATA III SSD
Gigabyte 6970 2GB video card

From what I gather my LGA775 CPU block will work with the Rampage board. I know my PSU is definitely up to the task of powering this rig. It will go in my old MM UFO case so space is abundant.

I'm not to sure if this is the right MB to go with or not. Cost isn't to much of an issue but I'm currently at $2200 and want to kept it under that. My plan is to have a 8GB Ramdisk to use as my swap for the SSD. I'll be putting 5 1TB HDD's in for storage from my old rig. This is going to be running CATIA and MasterCam mostly which are pretty intensive apps when your models get big. It is currently taking upwards of 5 minutes to output paths with 80,000 lines of code and I think this should bring it down to under 30 seconds. And of course some gaming when the long nights of 3D modeling start to wear on me.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited:
Back