• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help Ocing Socket A system

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RIPSTER

I just setup an old socket A system, m running an MSI K7T266 Pro2-A with an XP Mobile 2000+ chip, seeing as the multipliers on mobile chips are always unlocked I tried changing it in the BIOS, CPU-Z reports the multiplier as 12.5 stock but even If I change it to say 8x or 14x in the BIOS it still reports it as 12.5. Could it be that this XP-M is multiplier locked and does anyone know whether the pencil mod on the L1 Bridges will do the trick.

BTW does anyone have experience with the motherboard I'm using, do you know if it has PCI/AGP locks and whether they're enabled as stock, if not how can they be enabled, I'm very concerned about corrupting the HD's as I have a lot of movies etc that have not been backed up.

thanks

edit -

Heres CPU Info

Last edited:
lol come on, I thought u guys would love to reminisce and OC and old system :p

well a quick google said it had a via chipset which as far as i know means there is no agp/pci lock. don't know about the multi prob though

Yeah, you do not have a pci/agp lock on that board. At 150 FSB you're at 37.5 on your PCI. That's up there, but not necessarily dangerous. If you're gonna' do some backup, you might wanna' do it before you go any higher.

Try dropping your multi to 12.0. If it doesn't drop, that would make me think your chip is multi-locked. You sure it's a mobile? Reason I'm asking is that the default multi on the 2000 mobile should be 11.5. Where did you get it? Do you happen to know the stepping codes?

well I posted the screenshot in the first post, doesn't that show all the CPU info, is the stepping code on the CPU itself or is there another way I can obtain it?

Yeah, you do not have a pci/agp lock on that board. At 150 FSB you're at 37.5 on your PCI. That's up there, but not necessarily dangerous. If you're gonna' do some backup, you might wanna' do it before you go any higher.

Lol to late, I had to reformat and reinstall XP after raising it to 160 :p.

even if they multi's are locked, they won't be locked down, only locked up

really, your board is not the best for oc'ing, due to the chipset, you're gonna have to go old school on that board

RIPSTER said:
well I posted the screenshot in the first post, doesn't that show all the CPU info, is the stepping code on the CPU itself or is there another way I can obtain it?

It's on the CPU itself-but honestly, if it's defaulting to 12.5 I don't think it's a 2000 mobile. That, and you only have 256k lvl 2 cache. A Barton would have 512. It could be a mobile Tbred. Thorton maybe??

Where and when did you get the CPU?

Last edited:
You want at least a Via KT400 or Via KT333! Don't expect more than 150 mhz with a Via KT266!

It's on the CPU itself-but honestly, if it's defaulting to 12.5 I don't think it's a 2000 mobile. That, and you only have 256k lvl 2 cache. A Barton would have 512. Thorton maybe??

Where and when did you get the CPU?

I got it second hand from gumtree.com a classifieds website, if it isn't a mobile then why does CPU-Z report it as so and it was advertised as an XP-M

thanks

RIPSTER said:
I got it second hand from gumtree.com a classifieds website, if it isn't a mobile then why does CPU-Z report it as so and it was advertised as an XP-M
thanks

I was wondering that myself. On a kt266, that board would *have* to have had at least one BIOS revision to even I.D. a mobile processor.
It wasn't that uncommon back then for boards to display the wrong processor I.D. but still run at the right speed. Voltage is about right at 1.50v. But a 12.5 multi?? Something's not right.

As far as being "advertised" as a mobile... Could be. :shrug: Depending on how much you like reapplying Arctic Silver, you might want to jot down those stepping codes after all.

Last edited:
Lol I'm just worried about the core being damaged, Ive been paranoid about the strength of the cores since three mobiles I had stopped working from chip on the sides of the core.

I'll get the stepping codes soon.

I think that it is locked, the L1 bridges have little lines (maybe laser cuts) going horizontally across the middles of the L1 bridges, I'll try doing the pencil mod and see what happens.

OCF

edit :

I have flashed my BIOS to the latest revision, I'll try changing the multi again.

I don't know where everyone gets the misinformation from, but as far as I know an Athlonxp 2000+ is a 1667mhz chip, 133x12.5
1900+ is a 1600mhz chip 133x12.0
1800+ is a 1533mhz chip 133x11.5

My old, now unused computer with abit kt7-raid has a mobile Athlon xp chip at 1200mhz, so at 106x12.5 the mobo thinks it is a xp 1500+, its a 100fsb cpu btw. the L1 bridges are unlocked so I would say Yours is definitely not a mobile processor.

I don't see why not, give it a try, make sure none of the tracks touch each other when doing this, also You may have to do the job a few times before You are successful, good luck!

RIPSTER said:
Does anyone know whether the Pencil L1 mod will work for this proc?

Unless you're in a hurry (or just impatient like I am) :beer: post the stepping codes out here before you get busy with the pencil.

Back