• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help please! what am I doing wrong???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tcar

Registered
I just built a new system Asus sabortooth R2.0 mb. I installed 2 240gb ssd's in a raid 0 array and installed win7 pro. everything went smooth as glass.

now that I have the system all setup and every thing working the way I wanted I decided to add some extra storage, so I installed 2 seagate 1tb hybrid drives again in raid 0 I set them up just the way I did the 2 ssd's problem is windows doesn't see them at all.

when I go to "my computer" only the ssd's show up, same thing in device manager.

for those familiar with this mb I have the ssd's connected to sata ports 1 and 2
I have the seagates connected to ports 3 and 4 and I set ports 1-4 to raid in the bios. the ssd's are set as LD1 and the seagates as LD2 in the raid controller.

do I need to connect them to the asmedia sata ports instead? or does anyone know why the drives would not show up in windows?????

I would put them on the different controller. I am not sure if you can have two seperate arrays successfully on boards (never done it, not sure). Since they are HDD's being on the slower ASMedia ports will not affect performance. Does "computer management" see them? Do they need initialized?

Personally, with SSD's, I wouldn't put them in R0 in the first place unless you frequently work with large files. There just really isn't much of a tangible benefit, but the risks in doing R0 are greater (one drive dies, bye bye array).

I would put them on the different controller. I am not sure if you can have two seperate arrays successfully on boards (never done it, not sure). Since they are HDD's being on the slower ASMedia ports will not affect performance. Does "computer management" see them? Do they need initialized?

Personally, with SSD's, I wouldn't put them in R0 in the first place unless you frequently work with large files. There just really isn't much of a tangible benefit, but the risks in doing R0 are greater (one drive dies, bye bye array).

:thup: Got it thanks for the assist I just had my head in my a$$ initialized it and its working great.
This new build is actually for my wife she's a software engineer and also does allot of database work and shes a sims fanatic with all the expansions she has for sims I think its over 30 gigs at this point so the extra speed is nice.
when I bench marked the ssd's are over 1 gbps read and write. load times for most things are almost instant it's freaking awesome:clap:
Also she backs up all her work to an external storage drive and I have windows back up set to backup to the hdd's so even if an ssd fails it just means an hour or so re-installing windows a pain I know but not really that big of a deal.
Thanks again for the help.

Back