• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

samsung 980 pro 1tb x 2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

th1sm4dn3ss

Registered
Hello,on my pc that i am rebuilding my mobo is an asus rog crosshair vIII dark hero

and 2 ssd cards,in the first slot 1tb and in the second slot also 1tb so i dont know

what to do,because i bought the ssd cards when i didnt knew so much about building a pc,

so can i put them in raid with bifurcation on my mobo or is it only for a hypercard?

ps i have an asus hypercard that fits 4 ssd cards,so what are my options?thx in advance

Is it that simple?So i put the 2 ssd cards or sticks on the hypercard and do i have to put them
in raid?

First of don't do raid your better of using your OS tools than motherboard raid.

1715272587618.png

1715272759254.png

It also looks like only slot 2 supports bifurcation and only x4+x4 mode so if you want to use a card to plug both SSDs in you can. That said, this board already supports 2 m.2 so I would just plug them both into those slots and leave the PCIe on default.

Also, dont get caught up in PCIe RAID Mode, its just a fancy way of saying bifurcation not actually a RAID.

Before you add the 'complication' of RAID, I'd ask why/what are you trying to get out of it? PCIe M.2 SSDs are typically already fast enough for most users. And unless you're working with really large files frequently, there isn't much of a point to do RAID0. If you want redundancy (RAID1,10 etc..) , that's another thing. I haven't used RAID since SSDs came out...plenty fast enough.

As far as the Asus hypercard... if you don't need it. Sell it. I'd use the four three onboard M.2 sockets. You only have two drives so far... ;)

(kindly create a signature with your hardware so we can all see it when you post)

EDIT: As far as configuration, I'd run one as your OS, set/partition it for say 300-500GB, then format the rest for games. Setup the second drive just for games/additional storage. All you need to do is, once in Windows, initialize then format the drive (Windows will format one of them, the other may not show until you initialize->format it), and assign it a drive letter. No different than a spinner or SATA-based SSD. But that's how I would do it. Forget the RAID unless you actually know you need the additional throughput or redundancy.

Last edited:
Before you add the 'complication' of RAID, I'd ask why/what are you trying to get out of it? PCIe M.2 SSDs are already fast enough. And unless you're working with really large files frequently, there isn't much of a point to do RAID0. If you want redundancy, that's another thing.

As far as the Asus hypercard... if you don't need it. Sell it. I'd use the four onboard M.2 sockets. ;)

(kindly create a signature with your hardware so we can all see it when you post)
That does make since use the sockets on the MB.:clap:

Back