• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help! Problem with the TV out!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DanFraser

My card is the Gainward GeForce4 ti 4600 Golden Sample Model Ultra/750 XP 128MB DDR Video-in/Video-out DVI (I pulled the box out just for you guys!).

Watching stuff on my TV was a simple affair, I just sed the supplied cable from the box, and attached a SCART lead to input this into the TV, and adjusted the settings in the display properies accordingly, all fine, I played games, watched films, listened to music (until I got some speakers for the computer), got sick when trying to use the TV to go and chat on IRC. Alas, the good times are over. After a reboot, it didnt detect my TV, so I thoroughly checked the cables at all times, used the option available on the 43.45 drivers that is called 'check here if you TV is connected but remains unselectable' all to no avail. I thought, why not, reinstall the computer, it was getting bogged down anyway and getting a little clunky. That was quickly out of the way, and I set about getting the important software on, updating the video drivers (via the long process of completely killing them) and trying out several drivers. I was still on the road towards my goal with what appeared to be a long time to finish the journey. Nothing worked, I checked the cables over and over, all in order, tried more drivers that were suitable, still nothing. This is driving me insane! Help! Why won't my computer output to my TV!?

Here's a quick test:

Turn both tv and pc off. Make sure everything is hooked up.

1. Turn on tv.
2. Turn on pc, look at tv.
3. If you don't see your boot screens on the tv, then the card isn't detecting the presence of a tv, which it does automagically.

If your card can't 'see' a tv, then it won't work, not even if you click that little 'click here if you've tried everythign and you PROMISE you have a tv hooked up' checkbox.

I dunno, I just know it sucks.

I had to go buy a $35 (give or take) a/v switch from walmart to get it to work - hooked the pc to the switch via s-video, and the switch to the tv via rca. The switch sends the 'hey dork I'm turned on' signal that the card is looking for, and has a little red light that lights up when the pc knows there is a tv there and is outputting video.

If all else fails, try this. If it doesn't work, take it back and return it.

(Specifically, it's a Phillips 4 input 1 output a/v switch, it has rca a/v inputs and s-vid input for each of the 4 inputs (i said inputs a lot), and the same types on the one output. It also has coax in and coax out. In Walmart, it'll be located within 5 feet of the rca cables, coaxial cables, and all-in-one remotes.)

Since I just scrolled up and saw that you live in the UK, you probably don't care where WalMart stocks it.

Oops.

Anyway, you're sure to have some sort of equivalent there (with a wierd Jolly OE name like 'Burbleton's' or something =P) so check if you don't mind spending a little money to see if it works.

Anyway, here's the deal - with a fresh install of windows, an s-video cable connecting the gpu to the switch box, if it DOESN'T WORK, then your tv encoder must have fried, sure as rain.

My computer doesn't output any video signal to the TV whilst booting, it is software controlled to output the signal, so it 'should' work only when in Windows.

You'd be surprised. To find out if that's true or not, hit up the manufacturer's website and sift through the FAQs there.

...which I just did, and Gainward's FAQs aren't all that helpful. Hrm. I still suggest trying a) a different tv or b) the a/v switch, to see if either helps.

I have an AV S-Video switch between the S-Video out from my Leadteck WinFast A170t to my Tosibia S-Video input. Nada when I'm in windows. Only flashes of light when I'm booting. What software do you need to get this to work? I installed the unified Leadtek/nVidia drivers and it works for the PC but not VO.

I can't even get a pdf manual to download. This freature has nil documentation on site or my driver CD.

The only thing I can find it saying its software controlled is drivers to allow this, otherwise it doesnt work.

Also, I found one of those AV thingies, no way am I paying that price! Far too expensive (even if you remove the fact that I cannot afford it anyway)

james.miller said:
try booting with olny the t.v connected. it should automatically use the t.v as the display. that will at least tell you if its working

Nope, it doesnt do that, never has done.

What the hell!!?? I just scoured the manual... A 2m limit on the cable length!!?? Thats stupid! But why did it work before when I had this 5m scart cable?

I've got a 50ft S-Video cable that works fine otherwise. How can that silly thing know how long the cable is anyway? It needs to be 50 ft so it'll reach the TV across the room. Like who wants the TV on the desktop as a monitor? I'm glad I'm only out $40 for the card.

I'll try a short cable run just to see it it works but I'm not going to use it otherwise because I don't want the PC and TV next to each other.

BTW in the USA, WalMart has an amplified 4 port S-Video/audio switch box for U$40 and non amplified one for U$20 in their electronics section. Maybe that amplifed box might be a workaround as I'm looking to replace that U$40 piece of crap switch box I got at Radio Shack a few years ago.

Last edited:
I got mine to work through over 50ft of S-Video cable and a cheesy RatShack AV switch box. I just didn't have nVidia dual view set up correctly. I just cloned a display and selected TV as my 2nd display. It's all good now :D

Back