• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HELP: Slow DSL!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Xevuhtess7

my mom's company is payign for dsl from some no name company, and the fastest i can download is 14k!! i thought this was just a restriction of my old phone lines (they are extremely old). then my mom told me that she had the option of either getting a 10 port router or a 2 port that was faster. can i get a new router/modem thingy to make my dsl faster, or is this slowness something i cant change?

What are the actual specs that the phone company gave you? Ie, I was told my cable does 512k/128k.

14kbps is about 112kilobits per second, which is kinda poor.

It may be your phone line, as DSL does depend on the quality of your phone line.

David

i really have no friggin clue what my specs are, my mom's company handles this stuff. and yeah my phone line is very very old. :(

do you have all the phones filtered? do you have more than six phones installed at your house? if you dont have the filters get them! and if you have more than six phones lose them both of those contribute to poor dsl...try taking off the phone outlet thing thats in the wall if you only have 2 wires that could be the problem you need 4

umm im all out of thoughts for now hope i gave you some help

I knew a guy whose used to work for Bell on the technical end of things for DSL...

One of their lesser known tricks that they like to use is that after a customer has been on the service for 6 months or so, they'll re-route the data stream to a routing point that is over the 3-5km limit therefore decreasing the user's speed and route a new user to the close location thereby making the new user happy and the 6 month user frustrated.

If you ever call your DSL company and ask them about this method, they'll deny it and probably blame ether your computer or your house. But the guy the guy I got this info from was the one who received and implemented the changes to the routes. Gotta love getting the dirt on companies :)

Back