• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help Unlocking Phenom II X4 960T on ASUS M5A78L

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Firas

Good day

I am seeking help on how to squeeze more out of my CPU . using Phenom II X4 960T on ASUS M5A78L , i am not a PC guy but i can manage to fallow instructions if they are clear

i watched a Video on youtube and got the CPu up to 3.15

as far as the unleash method goes every time i enable it my pc shuts down like a thunder hit it from the sky , last time i tryied to enable it again ,, it rests all my settings in the BIOS ,, but this has been going on since day one , therefore i have not used the unleash method ..

i would Like to know if any one here can give me steps on how to over clock it a Little more

I am playing FSX and i have asked on that Board for help but 90% have intel

thank you

THIS vid should be available in your country now, if not now, soon, as i was getting hammered by youtube for the audio content, and it was banned from certain parts of the world, so i have just removed the audio and hopefully that will make it available to everyone, and you can see the settings that need to be adjusted to succesfully oc and unlock your cpu (if its stable unlocked) :thup:

Super Keny

thank you very Much the Video is working i will watch it in a few hours

any advice ?? or just pretty much do what is showing in the Video ??

thank you

Firas, I'm confused. In your subject line you ask help in "unlocking" the 960T but in your post you describe trying to overclocking it. Two different things. Which do you want to do? Unlocking refers to enabling the two locked cores to make the quad core into a hex core.

Last edited:
Super Keny

thank you very Much the Video is working i will watch it in a few hours

any advice ?? or just pretty much do what is showing in the Video ??

thank you

The vid literally covers the basic overclocking and unlocking of the cpu, it is just a guide for people who don't know a great deal on how to use the different bios options, but it should be enough to get you going :thup:

Kent i watched your video and did a few things in the Bios

i only got it up to 3.30 and i cant find the Voltage that you are talking about for the 1.45
and i cant get it to do 6 cores i dont know where to look ,, your Bios is different then mine

so i got it up to 3.30 with 4 cores but it was not stable

Not i do have overclock profile on for 5% do i need to disable this ???

@ trents

I am sorry if it is not obvious what i want

all i want to do is see how much i can squeeze fron this CPU because i am playing FSX and i have a Few addons that recommend 4GH and i have bought this CPU after i asked around and they told me i can tweak it ofter words

so i would be very happy if i can do what Kent did in his Video ,,,

the Only problem is ,, His BIOS is different from mine and i cant fallow his screen

hop this clears things up

Most of what you are looking for will be in the advanced section of bios. You will have to first put your OC options in manual then do the same for voltages etc. And then you will have the opption to input the voltages you want. I would suggest working on four cores for now to what it's capable of. Those extra cores are disabled sometimes because of a reason. Once you have a good stable machine then see if it's able to unlock. You may find as far as temps and stability it may work better on 4

Leave everything on auto apart from you're CPU multiplier and CPU voltage, these are the only two options I adjusted in the video, the vdd option i adjust is like msi's version of LLC and you should not take any notice of that setting on my board. Look for the CPU core voltage setting as that is the one that will net you the stability you're after.

@ trents

I am sorry if it is not obvious what i want

all i want to do is see how much i can squeeze fron this CPU because i am playing FSX and i have a Few addons that recommend 4GH and i have bought this CPU after i asked around and they told me i can tweak it ofter words

so i would be very happy if i can do what Kent did in his Video ,,,

the Only problem is ,, His BIOS is different from mine and i cant fallow his screen

hop this clears things up

So you don't want to unlock the extra two cores you just want to overclock the four it has active now? Am I understanding you correctly? Do you understand what I am asking? Do you understand the difference between unlocking and overclocking?

Could you be more specific about your "small, aftermarket, nothing special thingy" CPU cooler? Like make and model? Good cooling is essential to success in overclocking. And your memory? Could you clarify if it's 1600 or 1866 or at least what frequency you are running it at now?

Have you downloaded and installed some of our basic overclocking software tools like CPU-z, HWMonitor and Prime95? Proving us with some attached screenshots of CPU tabs: "CPU", "Memory" and "SPD" would be very helpful. There is a built-in forum tool for attaching them directly with your posts. Those CPU-z screenshots would give us and you a great deal of information about your system hardware and settings. I will paste a script in this post that tells how to capture and attach screenshots or images.

Is this computer one you built yourself? You seem somewhat unfamiliar with what's in it.

To attach a pic with a post, first crop and save the pic to disc if it includes surrounding irrelevant desktop territory. In other words, we don’t want to see your whole desktop. That just shrinks down the important stuff we need to see so that it may not be legible. Snipping Tool in Windows Accessories is great for this. Then click on Go Advanced at the bottom of any new post window. When the advanced post window appears, click on the little paperclip tool at the top. This will load the file browser/up-link tool and the rest will be obvious. You can attach up to three pics per post but you can go back later and add more if necessary.

Last edited:
You are running your ram too fast. Look at the CPU-z Memory tab. It shows that your memory is running at 864 x 2 or 1728 mhz when it is only rated for 1600 mhz. CPU-z reports ram speed at half of what you would expect because it's reporting the ram bus speed, not the DDR3 speed.

It looks like you are increasing you're reference clock instead of your CPU multiplier and that in turn is adjusting your ram speed as its linked to the ref clock. Are you using some kind of auto overclocking tool ?

the only over clock tool is the one in the BIOS that says over clock profile

how does the CPY Multiplier looks like in the BIOS ???

Ok, don't use any of the preset oc profiles, reset everything back to default, go to the advanced tab and look for something like jumper free configs or CPU configs, most of the things you will be wanting to adjust will be in that sub menu, but remember before you start to reset to default what you have changed already.... Also what cooling are you using ?

Does the Overclock Profile have options like Enable/Disable or Automatic/Manual? Anyway, you want to turn that off somehow and select Manual for the overclocking mode. Once you do that a number of manual overclock tools should appear.

Back