• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help Unlocking Phenom II X4 960T on ASUS M5A78L

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ok @ vcore 1.3718 multiplier X18 ran for 20 minutes all workers working

But core 1 and 2 got up to 55C and core 0 and 3 54C

so what does this mean i have to lower the Multiplier ??

also Prime 95 asks me how many test before it starts just keep the default at 4 ??

thank you

Your core temps are safe but on the cusp of stability. Much higher and you would likely encounter instability if the CPU is being overclocked. We tell people to not let the core temps exceed about 55c or instability will set in. Now you need to do a longer Prime95 test to confirm stability. At least two hours with no cores dropping out, not blue screen, no restarts or lockups.

That's it for now then mate, as I said earlier you will be limited by your cooler, now if you do what Trent said and run a longer p95 test to ensure 100% stability you're set, you're CPU would undoubtedly make much higher clocks if you had a decent cooler, as there is a lot more room on the voltage side of things to push it further, there are other things to overclock like the cpunb which will help with memory intensive tasks but that will also add heat to the CPU which you don't have any headroom with so the amount you would get out of it would be negligible and in reality, not noticeable in day to day computing.

Tip of the day : purchase a good cooler and clock that up to 4ghz+

Edit : the tests p95 defaults at is how many cores to stress and you have 4 so it stresses all 4 which is correct, just let it do its thing and leave it at default (4)

Ok so leave the vcore 1.3718 and the multiplier X18 even if i get 55c ?

1 what is my limits on TEMP ??

2 i have dropped the Multiplier to X17 should i keep it there or go up to 18 ??

what do you recommend on a cooler ?? and do you mean that if i get a good cooler i will be able to go EZ with 4 stable ??

thanks

Its the vcore that increases the heat, not the CPU multi, so dropping the multi won't make it run any cooler but reducing the vcore will. Your max temps are around the 55c mark once overclocked. If you get a good cooler you will almost certainly be able to overclock higher but to what level is unknown until you try

Ok so i need some help Please

I have been doing some research and asking around and shoping for a good aftermarket cpu cooler so i came across a very good one Like this
http://www.computerbase.de/artikel/...test-thermalright-hr-02-macho-cpu-kuehler/10/

and a few more , except one small problem because I have the long heat sink on my memory sticks ( as you see in the PIC in my previous post ) i dont think they fit :( :(

So I ask what is your recommendation on a good cpu cooler but cheap , the one you see in the Link i found it in a near by store for 40 Euro

Second me and this IT guy at this near by store told me that my CPU can handle up to 71c but i should be ok with temps up to 68c Does this information sounds right ??

i am ready to bump this CPU to 4.0gh but i need a tail cpu cooler that goes above my ram sticks

thank you

First of the guy at the store that told up to run your CPU at 68c wants his head giving a big shake, the speed of degradation at those temps will be drastically accelerated and it will more than likely die a early death, the CPU can handle more heat but only at stock clocks, once you increase the clock speed (overclock it) the tolerance for stable temp running is reduced and errors can start to raise there ugly head as low as 55c that is why that has been set as a rough guide for max overclocked temps, and as for a decent aftermarket cooler.... If you ask around the cooling section those guys know there stuff, but it seems that the cm hyper 212 seems to be the best bang for buck cooler at the moment.

Thanks keny

Not only hetold me 68c is ok he told me that i can run it up to 72c with no problem

so i am happy you replied because i was thinking the hell with it i will just keep my little fan and run it to 69c hhhhhhhh that would be a short night ha ??

Do you think the cm hyper 212 will fit with my tail memory sticks ??

keny what do you think of the V8 cool master i seen this guy and he has tail memory sticks look here

thanks

If necessary to accommodate tall heat sinks, the fan on the Coolermaster Hyper 212 can be positioned a little higher on the heat sink face. The fan is held on with plastic clips on each side that hug the heat sink. Just clip it on a little higher. The other question of importance with regard to the CM Hyper 212 is will there be enough clearance to the side panel to be able to put the side panel on. That cooler is about 160mm tall. Most cases at least 7.5" wide will provide the necessary clearance.

If necessary to accommodate tall heat sinks, the fan on the Coolermaster Hyper 212 can be positioned a little higher on the heat sink face. The fan is held on with plastic clips on each side that hug the heat sink. Just clip it on a little higher. The other question of importance with regard to the CM Hyper 212 is will there be enough clearance to the side panel to be able to put the side panel on. That cooler is about 160mm tall. Most cases at least 7.5" wide will provide the necessary clearance.

Thanks Harry :thup: I'm not that clued up coolers and didn't want to give this guy the wrong info.

i will measure it and see , I will measure how much room i have from the Motherboard and out words

But what you are saying is that You also Recommend the CM Hyper 212 Right ??

Thank you

i will measure it and see , I will measure how much room i have from the Motherboard and out words

QUOTE]

As long as it fits your case you can't go wrong for $30

Thank you

No, in offering the 7.5" width figure I was referring to the total width of the case as measured across the top from outside to outside as a quick and dirty rule of thumb. Of course, if you want to go to more trouble and measure the distance from the top of the CPU to the side panel opening that would be more precise gut make sure you go to the mfg web site and get the exact height of the cooler if you do that. And yes, I would recommend that cooler as a lot of bang for the buck and appropriate for overclocking the 960T, at least if you are not trying to unlock the other two cores. As a six core in unlocked mode that cooler may come up a tad short if you're aiming for 4.0 ghz.

Thank you for the reply

I would Like it to be stable at 4.0 witch i know this CPU can Handel it

2 what is the difference between Coolermaster EVO and Coolermaster Plus and Coolermaster Hyper 212 ??

did measure my case and i have 18 cm = 180mm from mother board and up and 28cm width easy and i can close the case

thank you

Great thank you , you mean an extra fan for backup ?? or i can put 2 fans on it ??

Forgive me i am new hhhhhhhhh

Great thank you , you mean an extra fan for backup ?? or i can put 2 fans on it ??

Forgive me i am new hhhhhhhhh

You can put 2 fans on the hyper 212, like push pull configuration. It's a great heatsink, in fact one of the best air coolers out there. You'll have to pull the board to install it but the basic instructions are easy to follow.

Back