• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help Unlocking Phenom II X4 960T on ASUS M5A78L

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thanks to all For the fast reply you Guys are great

Just a Fast Question will it hurt if i leave the Voltage at AUTO ?? it seems it runs smoother and at what number should i start ?

It won't hurt anything it's just that you can't expect to progress in your overclock unless you increase the voltage to your CPU. The higher voltage becomes necessary to support the higher frequency in order to overcome the resistance to the flow of data (electrons) though the silicone circuits.

This thread is now on page #4 and honestly we have covered just about everything there is to look at when overclocking AMD cpus. No one size fits all. It comes down to having to gently and logically make changes and record the results of such changes for future reference. That way it is not so dang hit or miss. I did X and got Y...oh crap never that again or wow that is neat.

In the long-run it is the quality of components including but not limited to the motherboard, cpu, ram and not the least of which is the power supply. Then you have to cool the stuff like a religion to push the speed hard and high.

Nothing else really matters. Not what I can do or Herman...but only what your stuff will do within reason.
1. CPU socket temp on non FX processors should be less than or equal to 62c, as shown in HWMonitor.
2. Core/package temps for non FX processors should be less than or equal to 55c, as shown in HWMonitor.
3. Personally I would not like to run Vcore greater than 1.525 for great lengths of time unless the temps were much less than those listed in #2 above.
4. Keep the ram within its' rated speed range and timings while trying to achieve stability. OR even lower when seeking stability. Memory tweaking is best done after the rig is stable so it is then only the ram tweaking that is causing the issue not cpu speed.
5. There it is. A few short sentences and you have overclocking 101 for any cpu made. Intel or AMD. Such overclocking endeavors and cautions only change in the amounts of volts and temps perceived to be safe over the years of new tech. Overclocked my first cpu with a soldering iron. Those were the days over a decade ago. Now we can just sit at the keyboard and make adjustments and overclock. Trial and error years ago and trial and error today. Set it. Test it. Set it. Test it. Still true.
RGone...ster.

Thanks to all and thank you RGone all of you have been super in giving a newbi like me direct info i am more then thankful and as you all know i am also Excited because this is my First

very nice info

:bday::bday::)

So i would like to say that the + and - thing worked on the cpu core voltage

BUT i got this the numbers turn to yellow whats up with this

imxh.jpg

luoc.jpg

Is this Normal ??

thank you

Ok first teast

ran prim95 for 50 minutes and here is what i got

cs5d.jpg

Should i bum up the core voltage or the cpu multiplier or both ??

and also if you see me did anything wrong please notify me

many thanks core volatge was on 1.38

I dont see what your core voltage is under load.

Also, I would leave your voltage as is but change your LLC to high or very high and up the CPU freq once you were sure your CPU voltage remained steady at 1.38 volts.

Priller is right you have the VCore part of HWMonitor covered...... Your temps are good so you will be fine moving forward.

Give your multiplier another bump and retest with prime. If you pass prime for at least 20 min without an error or your system crashing then do it all over again till you either get an error in prime or your system crashes. At this point you will need to add VCore give it a bump or two and then retest. Keep an eye on your temps Core Temps below 55*C and Socket Temps below 60*C.

Have you tried to unlock to X6 again yet?

His very first post says that everytime he has tried unleashing the mobo resets his bios completely and starts over. It sounds very doubtful he will get cores unlocked.

Plus in unlocking mode he will lose sight of the core temps since that is standard AMD fare and needs to already know what his socket temps will be at X cpu speed so he can interpolate to have any idea what the core temps are, if he should manage an unlock. So I would suggest first things first in getting a stable 4-core baseline with good captures showing all the needed info since we don't need video card or hdd/ssd temps or we will have no idea where he is nor will he.
RGone...

Using only the CPU multiplier to overclock is the simplest way but not the best way. Using a combo of the multiplier and the CPU/HT Reference Clock will give you higher overclocks on less voltage.

I dont see what your core voltage is under load.

Also, I would leave your voltage as is but change your LLC to high or very high and up the CPU freq once you were sure your CPU voltage remained steady at 1.38 volts.

Hello Priller By LLC you mean the Load line Calibration ? is this correct ?

many thanks

His very first post says that everytime he has tried unleashing the mobo resets his bios completely and starts over. It sounds very doubtful he will get cores unlocked.

Plus in unlocking mode he will lose sight of the core temps since that is standard AMD fare and needs to already know what his socket temps will be at X cpu speed so he can interpolate to have any idea what the core temps are, if he should manage an unlock. So I would suggest first things first in getting a stable 4-core baseline with good captures showing all the needed info since we don't need video card or hdd/ssd temps or we will have no idea where he is nor will he.
RGone...

yes this is correct what RGone is saying and i also would Like to add that from the getgo when i got this mother board , every time i try to enable the turbo unleash or what ever it is :D on reboot i always got a message saying over clocked failed ..

But i did find a guy on youtube who explained in details how to unlock all 6 and tweak and i did manage to get all 6 up and running but at that time i was not concern about any of this ...

And i also have a friend who only uses intel but he recommended that i clock the 4 and stay with that just for the same reason that RGone is saying

Ok what in the world just happened here

I fallowed the instructions on what Priller said and look what happened

Last PIC is where Windows hanged like this i had to reboot several time and change every thing back it like it was :( :(

imh9.jpg

hbyw.jpg

nsza.jpg

My crystal ball is working good today, I see a corrupted bios in your near future.

Most of these guys don't have a clue. LLC is not spec'd for cpus until an FX processor is plugged into the cpu socket. Some boards will do pretty good with LLC on non-FX cpus and other boards have gone freeken nuts just like yours is doing with that 960T Thuban type processor.

Your pard that said clock 4 and be happy was most likely not lying, especiall for gaming.

Of course it seems you need to leave LLC alone (where it has been) on that board and cpu combo.
RGone...

I have it back where it was any one know why he told me to mess around with LLC

any way i know he was just helping out

thank god i am up and running yes :) :)

Ok ran it again at 3.8 1600 memory for 45 minutes every thing is cool

But as soon as i bump the Multiplayer to 3.9 windows run and then i get a Blue screen memory dump what is this ???

this did not happen before the LLC Mistake

fuxz.jpg

Any suggestion

thank you

Your CPU vcore is still on the low side. Your temps are great so don't hesitate to bump it up some. I expect you will need around 1.475-1.5 vcore to get to 4 ghz, especially if you are content to only work with the CPU Ratio and not combine it with the CPU/HT Reference frequency. Don't be so timid with the vcore. You are not close to using an amount that will damage the CPU. Temps are really what you need to go by in that regard until you exceed 1.5 vcore for 24/7 running.

Back