• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help with a computer build please.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xtkxhom3r

hey im going to help my friend build his first rig now i know intel is the way to go atm...im a intel guy but my friend refuses to buy intel he wants amd and hes the one with the money so lets give the guy what he wants.... what would be a good cpu and mobo combo? i need it to be a xfire mobo... dont know much about amd so i need a little help

i wanted to either go with a x2 or with a phenom any imput will be greatly appreciated thanks.

i would get a cheap X2 untill the smaller cores come out and then go from there, all in all i would wait to buy ANY thing untill that happens but if he ABSOUTLY needs something i would get a cheepo X2 BE-2400+ or something

as for a mobo i have been thinking about this DFI:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813136044

but i am probally going to get the smaller version
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813136056

its xfire as well but only 2 slots, for good reason

thanks for your post niku and yea he needs a comp like ASAP lol and i was thinking about those 2400's but knowing him hes not going to upgrade for a while so i would rather get the fastest or close to the fastest right now... especially since amd doesnt oc all that great....what do you think about the x2 6000's?

The 6000+ is decent for the price, the Windsor core one has twice as much L2 cache as the other X2s, and it should clock to around 3.4ish with decent cooling.

That said I'm not sure I would get that. If your friend needs a machine now, I agree with Niku, convince him to get the 2400 (should do 3Ghz+ easily), and swap it out for a 45nm Phenom when they come out in early 2009. He might be reluctant to upgrade, but the 45nm chips will be compatible with AM2+, and you're just talking about a CPU swap.

If he really doesn't want to touch the machine for another couple years, then go ahead and spring for a 9950BE. They seem to do 3Ghz most of the time (and often on stock volts), and will be a bit more future proof as more apps get multithreaded. The Phenoms are also a bit faster clock per clock than the X2s.

I like the motherboard I have. the TF720 A2+ great overclocker, and pretty cheap. for a bit more you can get the TF8200, which supports the big power phenoms (125watt)

definitely start off with a BE-2400, they clock very well and are cheap, combine it with a good motherboard and you're set for a future upgrade. I've got mine at 3.1 with 1.48v perfectly stable. good temps too considering my computer's ambient is over 80F

he won't have to upgrade it till he feels like, since it seems unless you've got lots of money for really nice cooling and get lucky, 3.1-3.2 is close to the total limit (though I think i've seen some 3.4 stables and a few 3.3 stables

if he has the money by all means go for a phenom. I got my chip because I was in a hurry to build a new system since my S754 was failing on me. if I had more money I would've bought a phenom

I dunno about that board. I've never dealt with MSI stuff...
I like the Biostar T-force series though, and I haven't really heard of any big problems with them. I put everything together, booted it up, did a little math on a calculator, and got it running at 3.1ghz and it's been there since. everything just worked off the bat without a single hitch. that was REALLY nice.

i've only used a few MSI mother boards and theyre kinda middle of the road in my mind, not bad but not much to set it apart from standard issue

Back