• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with OC'ing 965 C2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gcwebbyuk

I have read Dolk's guide to the Phenom II, and have had some success in tweaking my 965.

I am still, however, not totally straight on the NB and it's voltages.

I have also read somewhere (may be on here, may be on a different forum) that the 955 / 965 don't require as much tweaking as the other Phenom IIs with regard to the Northbridge.

I have certainly noticed a difference between a stock 2000MHz NB and a 2400MHz when running benchmarks, nothing massive, but a difference. So I am aiming to get working successfully at 2400.

My trouble seems to be when boosting the voltage of the NB to match it's multiplier, my system just doesn't seem to like the heat it creates.

Dolk's guide suggests running at 1.25v, but I "did" manage to get running at 1.175v @ 2400, although I don't seem to be able to repeat this! doh

I am under the understanding that increasing the CPU NB VID, should increase the CPU temp. Increasing the Northbridge Volt Control should increase the Northbridge on the motherboard temp. Is this correct? If so I need to think more about cooling the CPU (can't see how other than more fans or bigger case), or should I be looking to cool the NB on the motherboard in a more efficient way? Or am I fighting a losing battle with the chip being the 140tdw C2 version?

Also should I really need to worry about increasing the HT Link Freq?

Yes, the voltages and temps mentioned are right. The cpuNB VID will increase CPU temps as much as increasing the vCore and you still have to watch those CPU temps keeping them below 55°C if at all possible. Your NB chipset temps shouldn't exceed about 50°C if all is normal.

I don't know why you would want to increase the HT Link speed. With a single video card you wouldn't see much if any increase in performance past 1600-1800 MHz ...

Thats what I guessed re: HT Link.

It's stock speed is 2000MHz on my board. I just read in an article about not worrying if it goes up if you increase the FSB (HT Ref Clock).

My overclocking is going to be by multiplier at the moment.

Higher HT Link speeds can sometimes cause problems and it's a tested fact that too high of an HT Link speed for a given CPU (or maybe it's cpuNB?) speed actually decreases performance. Where did you read that - not here I hope ...???

A high CPU-NB can decrease the performance of the computer.

You can read about that in my articles.

Back