• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with static IP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dan0512

Well let me tell you the story. We have an internet PPPoE xDSL connection... so before we had to PC's, our main PC was connected to the modem (or router, don't know which is right for the box that plugs in directly to the phone line).

I then enabled a static IP, no problem (enabled DCHP, and all the other stuff) on the modem page. Couldn't host servers on many games.

It was configured like this-

IP adress -192.168.1.33
Subnet mask- 255.255.255.0
Gateway- 192.168.1.1 (the modem)

DNS servers I also configured well.

Then I bought my own PC, so the main connection had to be shared. A teacher at school gave me a rather old wired router to split the connection. It was perfect since the 2 PC's were not more than 5m apart, so no need for WL yet.

So I had the router was connected to the modem via main DSL, then another 2 DSL cables split up to both our PCs. This worked perfectly and we both had static IP's, no problem.

Then we moved to a different apartment. Unluckily the PC's were inevitably separated by 2 walls, like 20 meters apart. So the old router was no good.

We bought an US robotics 802.11g WL router to share the connection. Here is where everything got f****d up.

The problem with this router is that it somehow acts like another ¨modem¨. It doesn't act like a ¨dummy box¨ that just splits the connection, it pretty much took control of all the connection.

Now to connect, I have to connect first to the new router (192.168.2.1, and an IP of that gateway 192.168.2.**), then that one connects to the modem. I basically don't know how to set up the static ping right now! help!

dan

You might try posting this in the Network Topic. It sounds like your DSL modem also acts as a router, so you needed a wireless switch, not a wireless router. But I am green at this and think the network topic will offer better response to your query.

First of all, why bother with static IPs? There really is no need for this unless you are hosting a server or something else of that nature. For most people in most situations using DHCP works perfectly well. Also you really shouldn't be doing DHCP and static IPs, they are just different ways of giving a device an IP address.

The setup should look like this:

DSL Modem----->Wireless router(WAN or internet port)----->>PCs

Now try setting the PCs to use DHCP, and the modem to enable DHCP. Then go into the router and DISABLE DHCP, and give it an IP address in the same range as the modem. Based on what you have given I think this would work:

IP Address: 192.168.1.2
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

The trouble is that the DSL company can give you just a modem or a combination modem/router.

ErikD said:
First of all, why bother with static IPs? There really is no need for this unless you are hosting a server or something else of that nature. For most people in most situations using DHCP works perfectly well. Also you really shouldn't be doing DHCP and static IPs, they are just different ways of giving a device an IP address.

The setup should look like this:

DSL Modem----->Wireless router(WAN or internet port)----->>PCs

Now try setting the PCs to use DHCP, and the modem to enable DHCP. Then go into the router and DISABLE DHCP, and give it an IP address in the same range as the modem. Based on what you have given I think this would work:

IP Address: 192.168.1.2
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

The trouble is that the DSL company can give you just a modem or a combination modem/router.

Thanks for the input! I basically want a static IP because I can't host many servers without one (combat flight sim is one example).

Now, where exactly should I set the settings you gave me? in the router page, there is a WAN section, a LAN section, and maybe more.

thx for the help

dan

Go to the lan page and do the settings. If you want a static IP in one machien first see what si teh default IP it's getting through the DHCP after that enter that details to teh netork card in that desktop. Go to the router page exclude that ip from the DHCP range. when this is done that IP will never be give to any other machine :)

BUBBLE said:
Go to the lan page and do the settings. If you want a static IP in one machien first see what si teh default IP it's getting through the DHCP after that enter that details to teh netork card in that desktop. Go to the router page exclude that ip from the DHCP range. when this is done that IP will never be give to any other machine :)

Well I can't set the IP on lan to anything 192.168.1.x, it tells me it can't be on the same subnet of the internet.. :shrug:

dan

Back