• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hey Had a cool idea

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Compexpert

Disabled
Hi i just got this idea in my head where the cpu socket is sitting in the case what if u mark where it is on the other side then take a saw or somthin and cut a square or a hole big enough to put a fan thier think about since the temps on a mobo and cpu are hotter underneeth what if u have a fan blowing air from behind the cpu do u think that would help at all ?

It sure couldn't hurt! I did basically that with my video card after reading Mr. B's thread on how to put a fan on your card opposite of the GPU. It helped out my video card.
But I wouldn't expect too much of an improvement with a CPU. They are mounted some distance from the board in the socket, not flush with the board like a GPU.
Try it out, and tell us how it goes!

I read about a guy that did that somwhere and it helped out his case temps and overclocking by alot, but he had one blowing in and one blowing out on that side....

since all this summer heat we have in Virginia added with the like 80 90% mugginess lol it hotter than hell here even at night its 80 degrees so my case and cpu temps rose bye alot my cpu never got 50 c before ( this asus board is off so its actually like 43c ne way i had to get a few new fans and i remounted them now it seems my case dropped 2 c and cpu never goes about 48 c im ganan try the ideai had when my stomake stops hurting :(

Compexpert said:
Hi i just got this idea in my head where the cpu socket is sitting in the case what if u mark where it is on the other side then take a saw or somthin and cut a square or a hole big enough to put a fan thier think about since the temps on a mobo and cpu are hotter underneeth what if u have a fan blowing air from behind the cpu do u think that would help at all ?

You're talking about cooling the chip from underneath, right? Its been tried, and it didn't work much. I think Hoot did it, but I'm not sure.

I had one case set up close to that- a fan pulling hot air out from behind the mobo, although it wasn't directly behind the cpu.

I don't think it helped much, but it definitely can't hurt! It may show an incorrectly low mobo temp though, or so I was told at the time.

Back