• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

High Temps with ALX-800

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hey560

Registered
Hi guys i just built my new rig and have it up and running. I have slowly upped the speed to: 11x167 = 1838MHz. My other specs are in my signature. I have the ALX-800 with a Coolermaster 2500RPM fan on it. My idle temps at this speed is 42 degrees Centigrade. This is way too high right now if i want to overclock past 1.8Ghz. I also used as5 (possibly did a bad job?). Should i be worried, and if sow what should i do?

*edit* My case temperature is 31C on idle.

Redoing the thermal compound is always a good idea. It often takes several mounts to get a good one in. Also, you're going to need a quicker fan to keep the temps down with Thermalright's design. You should always have a good 50CFM at least, IMHO.

Is there a fan that is decently quiet say < 35dba at 50cfm????

I'm sort of out of it, but last time I checked, the Thermaltake SmartFan II is one of the best choice. A friend of mine has the ALX with an SFII, and got his 1700+ to 2.5ghz with this combo, so it should be a pretty safe bet.

The 80mm Panaflo U1A is available here..:) CLICK HERE

Fan specs:
Model: FBA08A12U
Air Flow: 47 CFM
Fan Speed: 3400 RPM
Noise Level: 38 dBA
Power: 3.24 watt
Bearing Type: Hydro Wave Bearing
Fan Size: 80x80x25 MM :burn:

Well, since arch didn't mention it :eek: I guess that I'll have to. If you want to lower your temps even more, make sure to remove all of your case grills and reorganize your cables. That makes more of a difference than most people think, good for a few °C drop. Did I say it right, arch? :D I tried to get the correct inflection and sentence structure. :D

Last edited:
Gautam said:
I'm sort of out of it, but last time I checked, the Thermaltake SmartFan II is one of the best choice. A friend of mine has the ALX with an SFII, and got his 1700+ to 2.5ghz with this combo, so it should be a pretty safe bet.

I looked into the smart fan II and it looks like the fan clips that are used by the alx-800 wont work on it based on the picture i saw on the thermaltake site. Is this true?

They'll still work - they just bend in a little. The blue led version of the smart fan has holes in the bottom and fits a little better.

Have you removed the fan grids from the case yet. These are the restrictive grids that are infront of or behind your fans. Removing them increases air flow and reduces noise..Make sure your cables and wiring are out of the air paths also..Keep your flow up and temps down.:)

Delta 80x38mm FFB0812EHE
Specifications: 80x80x38mm, 80.16 CFM @ 5700 RPM, 52.5 dBA, 10.80W, .90 amp, 12v DC, standard 3-pin or 3+4 pin power connectors.
The Delta FFB/EHE (Extreme High output) is the fan your mother warned you about. This beast moves more hot air than a politician. Unfortunately, it tends to be as loud as one too...

FAN LINK :thup:

That's what he wants...It's not what he needs..:) Put it on a rheostat to regulate speed and noise..:D Just more options to choose from..:cool:

Let me be the first to say(maybe im not but I missed it) that your temps are fine. From there, just to 1.6v and 200x11 and check your temps. You realy need to giove us load temps too, idle means nothing.

archilochus said:
The 80mm Panaflo U1A is available here..:) CLICK HERE

Fan specs:
Model: FBA08A12U
Fan Size: 80x80x25 MM :burn:

That's the best option put on the table so far. You should be able to overclock very well with that fan on an alx-800. It has alot of airflow and it's still quiet enough to live with.

This smartfan would be a good choice too, since you can adjust the speed. It might be a little louder than the panaflo at the same speed.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=11-999-120&depa=1

Ok I have an update on my situation now. First off I re applied arctic silver/re sat the heatsink on the cpu. Here are my results:

Pertinent System Info:
AMD Barton 2500 Mobile
TT ALX-800 Heatsink with Coolermaster LED 80mm Fan
Abit NF7-S 2.0
Antec SLK-3700AMB with 1 120mm exaust fan
Antec 350WPSU
Rest of specs in sig.

OC1:
181.2x11 =1933Mhz
Vcore = 1.552V
Idle = 40
Load = 47
Case Load = 35
Ambient = 27

OC2:
181.2x12 = 2174.4
Idle = 45
Load = 52
Case Load = 39
Ambient = 27 (hot summer day)

Looks like I improved it a bit. Is OC2 a safe operating range? I''m happy with OC2 for normal use. I think i'm going to order the panaflo as it does seem like the best option right now. Would adding 2nd 120 mm intake help cpu temp substantially?

Edit:
Quick question, is this panaflo:
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=10711&vpn=FBA08A12L1A&manufacture=PANASONIC

the same as the one suggested above:
http://2cooltek.safeshopper.com/25/458.htm?127

The specs on the two sites dont match, but on careful inspection of the pictures i think the model numbers match.

Last edited:
Fan specs:
Model: FBA08A12U: = **Ultra High Output**
Fan Size: 80x80x25 MM
The one in the 2nd link is the one you want..The other one is a L series. (low output)

I presume you are in Canada! ;) CLICK HERE

Cool thanks for the canadian site, you're right i'm canadian eh.

Looks like the canadian site is a rip off though, $24.98+$1.50CAD for the connector, while the american site has the fan and 3 pin connector for $9USD. Looks like i'm gonna be looking south, hopefully the american one ships to canada.

hey560 said:
Ok I have an update on my situation now. First off I re applied arctic silver/re sat the heatsink on the cpu. Here are my results:

Pertinent System Info:
AMD Barton 2500 Mobile
TT ALX-800 Heatsink with Coolermaster LED 80mm Fan
Abit NF7-S 2.0
Antec SLK-3700AMB with 1 120mm exaust fan
Antec 350WPSU
Rest of specs in sig.

OC1:
181.2x11 =1933Mhz
Vcore = 1.552V
Idle = 40
Load = 47
Case Load = 35
Ambient = 27

OC2:
181.2x12 = 2174.4
Idle = 45
Load = 52
Case Load = 39
Ambient = 27 (hot summer day)

Looks like I improved it a bit. Is OC2 a safe operating range? I''m happy with OC2 for normal use. I think i'm going to order the panaflo as it does seem like the best option right now. Would adding 2nd 120 mm intake help cpu temp substantially?

Those are decent temps and a conservative overlock for an XP-M CPU.

12C or 13C CPU temp above case temp is great for someone who is not ducting in. This means your HSF is doing a good job.

Your best option at this point is probably to improve case ventilation. You should be able to get your case to about 8C above ambient without too much work. In your example of a hot summer day, this would be a 35C case temp. This would get your CPU down by 4C. You could probably get such an improvement by improving airflow in a variety of ways, such as a 2nd 120mm or improving case airflow.

the wesson

Back