• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hole Saws, which one to get? for acrylic

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NuBie

Registered
I am looking at an mk morse hole saw 3 & 5/8 in. (92 mm). I don't know if a regular bi - metal one from a hardware store will do the job. I found this one here:

http://www.mkmorse.com/carb2.html

The model: ATCG58.

Do I need to get a center arbor? Will the bi metal do just fine, or will it end up rough or cracking the acrylic. The morse one is around 40$ beans, but I don't know if it works, and how well it works, and if the money would be better served buying one of the terribly expensive Relton hole saws found here:

http://www.relton.com/holesaw2003.html

Are you going to be doing a lot of cutting holes? I say if your not, then just take the acrylic piece to your local glass company and have them cut it for you. Otherwise my experience has been that on acrylic you can cut with most any fine tooth hole saw. Clamp the piece down, making sure you have protected the material from scratching. Do not cut all the way through, turn the piece over and cut back to the other side. Go slow and you should be fine. Also make sure you have a solid surface under the acrylic so you are not putting and undue strain on the material ie; plywood, not you kitchen table. :)

A bi-metal hole saw will cut acrylic just fine. Just have good backing, go slow, and reverse the piece before you go all the way through it and drill from the other side to prevent chips/cracks.

The worst thing is when you go too fast and it part melts, then you slow up then it sets and you snag and shatter it.... :(

I would try keeping it flooded with water, not a great lubricant, but sometimes oil+little heat will fog your plastic a little round the edges.

RoadWarrior said:
The worst thing is when you go too fast and it part melts, then you slow up then it sets and you snag and shatter it.... :(

I would try keeping it flooded with water, not a great lubricant, but sometimes oil+little heat will fog your plastic a little round the edges.

thats why it was suggested that you use the drill in reverse

I used i bi-metal on a slow speed drill using forward.

but always have a small practice sheet of plexiglass so you get the feel for drilling.

i used a lubricant from a large metal cutoff saw, helps it a bit.

masking tape is very helpful to stop the holesaw form sliping and damaging the outer part of the hole.

3TH3R34L

MVC said:
A bi-metal hole saw will cut acrylic just fine. Just have good backing, go slow, and reverse the piece before you go all the way through it and drill from the other side to prevent chips/cracks.

Sound advice. :thup: Using water as a coolant is a very good idea as well.

Worked at a plastics plant repairing injection molds during my apprenticeship,
and we machined plastics in the shop quite often as well.

well first of all there is few different typ of *poly*
here is some info.
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/category.asp?catalog_name=USPlastic&category_name=21314&Page=1

2nd most above ANSW ^ are correct is all about what do you feel to use.
I'm lucky and i work for company that has huge shop so for me is no issue. I would suggest to use Drillpress if avlbl. if not use your hand drill and use scrap pcs. as a test, see how good or bad will cut it. Other way to do that is using a Router, but that would be more for someone that has shop experience in hand tools.

FYI> never drill from one side all the way. Drill half way than flipp> use slow RPM and good cutter and everything will be fine.
Use wide blue 3m painters masking tape to cover up before drilling.

back to your question YES ( home depot/ace hardware etc. ) they have good hole saws. but if you are planing to cut steel/ aluminum etc. In that case you will need good brand like you are showing above.
Have fun :cool:

RoadWarrior said:

I recommend cutting in reverse and using dish liquid soap as a lubricant.

Electron Chaser said:
I recommend cutting in reverse and using dish liquid soap as a lubricant.

I gave your advice a try, works very well :thup: water didn't work as good though, but if you can get your hands on a good cutoff saw lubricant use that, but keep in mind dishwashing liquid is free :)

Cheers,
3TH3R34L.

Back