• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Home Network problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

papadan

Hi, I am having a problem with my home network setup as a homegroup.

The network consists of computer 1 (my sig), computer 2, & sometimes a laptop. I'm only going to be working with computer 1 & 2.
The problem is when going into network & sharing center, then select see full map both computers show up but on computer 1 when I click on computer 2 it won't allow to do so. On computer 2 when I click on computer 1 it won't allow me to do so. If I go to my computer in the left hand part of the screen where it shows Favorites, Libraries, Homegroup, Computer, Network & click on network to expand it. For computer 1 it shows nothing, for computer 2 it shows computer 2's name & the router.

Before I had the SSD in my sig. I had just the HDD & I kept it as a second bootable drive on computer 1. If I boot into the HDD drive then the network basically works. The computers show up in the network tab of my computer.

I am at a loss here. I've worked on this all weekend & went back through some old posts which were similar with no luck. I'm not real good with the software end of this thing which doesn't help.

Any input will be greatly appreciated Dan

Let me make sure I'm seeing this right, you just need to share certain drives over your home network correct?

What I do for my network sharing is I go into the drive properties, go to the sharing tab, then share from there.
Then it can be set up on any device that you connect to your network, but won't show up unless it is set up.

What I do for my network sharing is I go into the drive properties, go to the sharing tab, then share from there.
Then it can be set up on any device that you connect to your network, but won't show up unless it is set up.

+1

You can share whatever folder you'd like as well as the root of the drive.

If it's just for files and such and you still can't get it going, you can always set up and FTP server for your network.

Sadly I do have the drives shared at that point. It's like the network discovery function isn't working like intended.

You'll need to map the drive through Windows Explorer then.
Follow this:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/create-shortcut-map-network-drive#1TC=windows-7

FTP server?

Try ATM's link, I've had this happen once before. Mapping it worked out fine.

If not, an FTP server can help.
FTP = file Transfer Protocol.
Basically, you choose which folder or drive to share, and anyone (or if you setup usernames and such) can access the file. Just by using a web browser. There are FTP clients too, which can make it easier to use FTP instead of browsing a webpage of your files, but worry about that later if mapping doesn't work.

Try ATM's link, I've had this happen once before. Mapping it worked out fine.

If not, an FTP server can help.
FTP = file Transfer Protocol.
Basically, you choose which folder or drive to share, and anyone (or if you setup usernames and such) can access the file. Just by using a web browser. There are FTP clients too, which can make it easier to use FTP instead of browsing a webpage of your files, but worry about that later if mapping doesn't work.
That FTP sounds like it would just be working around a problem. That home network should work as is.

Just to be thorough, this is how you shared the drive correct?

1. Right-click the folder or drive you want to share.

2. Click Properties. From the Sharing tab, click Advanced Sharing. From the drop-down list, choose other computers you wish to share the folder with, and then click Add. Select permission levels, and then click Share.

3. Click Share this folder.

4. In the appropriate fields, type the name of the share (as it appears to other computers), the maximum number of simultaneous users, and any comments that should appear beside it.

5. If you would like to grant access to particular groups or individuals, click Permissions to add the appropriate groups or usernames.

6. If you are using NTFS, check the permissions in the Security tab to ensure that they are properly set to allow access to the share. Because Security settings override Share permissions, it is possible for people on the Permissions list to be denied access to the share because they either are not specified or are denied specifically in the Security list.
Note: FAT32 does not provide the same level of security as NTFS. You will not see the Security tab if you are using FAT32.

7. Click OK.

That FTP sounds like it would just be working around a problem. That home network should work as is.

It is a work around yes.

In addition to ATM's mini guide above, if you grant "Everyone" full access and it works, then there are some permission issues going on.
Granting "Everyone" access is a sure fire way to see if permissions are the root cause, but you shouldn't leave them like that. Big security issue. ;)

It is a work around yes.

In addition to ATM's mini guide above, if you grant "Everyone" full access and it works, then there are some permission issues going on.
Granting "Everyone" access is a sure fire way to see if permissions are the root cause, but you shouldn't leave them like that. Big security issue. ;)

It's easy to grant access to anyone with login information.
That's what I do, then I simply log in once on a machine and it has access until removed.

I believe mine is set for "Everyone" but still prompts for the login info. Will have to check that once home from work though.

It's easy to grant access to anyone with login information.
That's what I do, then I simply log in once on a machine and it has access until removed.

I believe mine is set for "Everyone" but still prompts for the login info. Will have to check that once home from work though.

I think there's an option is the share settings to disable password protected sharing as well. I have that off because my actual account has no password set. :chair:

Just to be thorough, this is how you shared the drive correct?

1. Right-click the folder or drive you want to share.

2. Click Properties. From the Sharing tab, click Advanced Sharing. From the drop-down list, choose other computers you wish to share the folder with, and then click Add. Select permission levels, and then click Share.

3. Click Share this folder.

4. In the appropriate fields, type the name of the share (as it appears to other computers), the maximum number of simultaneous users, and any comments that should appear beside it.

5. If you would like to grant access to particular groups or individuals, click Permissions to add the appropriate groups or usernames.

6. If you are using NTFS, check the permissions in the Security tab to ensure that they are properly set to allow access to the share. Because Security settings override Share permissions, it is possible for people on the Permissions list to be denied access to the share because they either are not specified or are denied specifically in the Security list.
Note: FAT32 does not provide the same level of security as NTFS. You will not see the Security tab if you are using FAT32.

7. Click OK.
Basically that is what I did, but I don't have the phrase choose other computers you wish to share the folder with. (not there) Permissions are set to everyone, correct?

I think there's an option is the share settings to disable password protected sharing as well. I have that off because my actual account has no password set. :chair:

There's the difference, mine is on the server which is password protected, and is also online 24/7.

Basically that is what I did, but I don't have the phrase choose other computers you wish to share the folder with. (not there) Permissions are set to everyone, correct?

Yes, my permissions are set to Everyone as I have a password on the user account for this computer.

Back