• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hot GF3 + Old Stock AMD Heatsink fan = Cool Card

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

beau_safken

Check this out. I was wondering what was making my temps go up so much until I felt my GF3 card. My GeForce 3 TI200 has a passive heatsink when it came to me. However, tonight I decided that it was way too hot. After sticking my hand in there I felt around the top of my GeForce3 and WOW it was hot. So I dug around in the misc. Box of parts and the 60mm AMD stock heatsink fan jumped out and onto the card. What I did was remove the fan and spacer. Cut off the tabs that connected the spacer to the heatsink and ground out the holes to accept large enough screws to fit the channels of the heatsink on the GF3. Two screws on in the spacer to make a base to hold the fan to the heatsink of the GF3. After that I use two screws to connect the fan to the spacer. Then WALLA...It works and soo far its working great. I'll hopefully get some pictures. My dad borrowed my digital camera for a trip so...:eh?: :bang head::drool: I'm a little mad...LOL

bknight said:
im thinking about doing sumting like that to how did you get the heatsinks off

I do no think he took off the heatsink. But to take off the heatsink, freeze it in the freezer for a while and the glue will lossen. Then pry it off using something (like a credit card) to protect the card from a slip up. But you may rip off ur GPU **remembers someone's post of trying to take a socket A heatsin off of their geforce 4 ** Shudders**

Aye, I didn't take off the heatsink that was already on the card. The channels were small enough for the screws I was using to grab hold of the heatsink.

JAwsome...Drooling makes being mad a whole lot funner. :D

Well with my TI 500 when i'd touch the back it was damn close to burning my finger, so i took the stock cooler off because it was very crappy non effective aluminum with a fan that i've heard dies easily. I replaced it with a copper vantec iceburg w/ silver paste and i had to get that in there with screws because the push pins wouldnt go far enough. and then on the back, i took some risers i got from the little white box that came with my case, i pluged two of them into a couple unused holes and then i screwed a 60mm fan on the back, I'm unsure of the 60mm fan's effectivness as it's cooling the pcb board instead of a metal heatsink, but it makes me feel better :) and it was my first real graphic card mod.

I took an old K6-2 500 Stock HSF and epoxied it to my GeForce3 Ti500. I must say that it does stay a heck of a lot cooler. The only tradeoff was the two PCI slots taken by that 60 mm HSF.

ummmm i got one of them heatsinks to im not to good at fans sorry to ask but is that the stock size fan for that heatsink and how would a fan work on the back side to help to cool it down im cutting down sume old hs to put on my card would aney stock epoxy work

Back