• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how are ati's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Emericana

i have around $130 to spend on a vidcard. For that much i can get a GF4 Ti4200.... but then i thought to myself why not try a ati card... what card can i get for that much money and how high can i overclock it on stock cooling without a vmod? i was thinkin radeon 8500 but i really dont know which one to get since i really havnt been following ati cards at all.... anyone have any suggestions on what to get? does ati make a card w/ 128mb ddr for that price? i really didnt know what was what (diff between 8500, 8500 pro, 8500 LE etc).

well thx

the best is the Gigabyte 8500 deluxe and can be found well under your price of 130$, it is clocked at 275/275 like all normal 8500s are...

the Gigabyte 8500 Pro is clocked like an 8500LE at 250/250, but the LE's overclock normally to 8500 speeds (unless you get a real crappy brand) and with vmods normally go a lot higher, the Gigabyte Pros are overclocking beasts....and they come with tons of free proggies

Bender said:
You might also look into a Radeon 8500 le 128 MB. I think most have BGA ram so if you overclock this is an excelent choice.

I agree you can find em for under $100 now OEM, good choice , decent overall card with life left in it in the 128 flavour

cisco kid

mine has bga ram and clocks well

dude, can someone give me a link to a site were i can buy this Gigabyte Radeon 8500 delux, i searched pricewatch. pricegrabber and still didnt find it. Plz give me linkage! Thank You

well i have the 8500le 128 w the bga 3.6 i couldnt go any higher than 295/295. so i flash the giga bios (7008) fix for a BUILT BY ATi and now i score 9965 @ 300/300 and 144fsb in 3dmark2001SE

AMD900 said:
well i have the 8500le 128 w the bga 3.6 i couldnt go any higher than 295/295. so i flash the giga bios (7008) fix for a BUILT BY ATi and now i score 9965 @ 300/300 and 144fsb in 3dmark2001SE

Dont forget LE's are also undervolted. A little voltmod can do a lot of good. DO NOT use the pencil voltmod trick unless you want to cook eggs on your GPU.

Bender said:

Dont forget LE's are also undervolted. A little voltmod can do a lot of good. DO NOT use the pencil voltmod trick unless you want to cook eggs on your GPU.

what do u mean? i want to do the pencil trick?

Emericana .............. If you can get a TI 4200 for $130 I say get it . No standard Radeon will touch it . A well Oc'd radeon 8500 will go very far but many require mods as already mentioned in this thread . Also a slight to moderate oc on your 4200 should easily widen the gap on any but the most extreme 8500s .

However this all depends on if you have $130 , if you don't or want to save some bucks then the 8500 will give the best performance for the price out there . But again only if you want to save $ or intend to buy again in a few months .

i decided to get a ati mainly to save money which is always a good thing :)

on newegg how is : ATI OEM RADEON 8500 LE 128MB DDR DVI/CRT/TV ?

is that overclockable really high?

what is a better deal, the GIGABYTE RADEON 8500LE PRO 64mb or for around $5 more the OEM w/ 128mb?

which one will oc higher and does the extra ram matter a lot more? i am thinkin more along the gigabyte card because of all of the goodies that comes with it unless the extra 64mb will really help me in the future. i plan to keep this card for 6months basically until the nv30 is affordable.

if you are willing to get the nv30 (ill do too ;) ) get the the 128mb one, 5 or $10 isnt that much but performance efficiency from 64mb to 128mb will be huge, just wait until doom3 comes out... Besides it will give you a longer overhead of time and then get a moderate priced nv30

the thing is tho i really havnt seen any benchmark that gives that much of a indicator that the extra vram does that much. i think i am gonna get the gigabyte 64mb one and then oc it to its max cause it should go higher than the ati one. just look at the heatsinks on that thing!

Back