• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How are the new Prescotts doing?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cerberus2k7

Drifto Mexicano
For my upgrade, I either want to get a 3.0C, or a 3.0E, and watercool it, and at first I was just going to get the C because the E's didn't do well overclocking wise, but from some of the members here, i've seen some good overclocks by them. So are the newer ones overclocking better and staying tollerable temp wise with good cooling?

With good watercooling, the new D0 Prescotts seem to be averaging about 3.8 gig. I can get 3.9 gig out of mine, but I have to use more volts than I'm really comfortable with. There's a guy that posted recently who claims over 4 gig on air with a SL7KC 3.2E.

I don't know why everyone is holding onto the idea that Prescotts don't OC well. On the average Prescotts seem to oc just as high, if not higher, and more frequently than Northwoods. I beleive this is mainly because of the fact that the Pressy is the successor to the northwood and since Intel plans on coming out with higher mhz prescotts in the next few months while the northwoods are maxxing out at 3.4(to my knowledge) they prescotts are going to have more overhead. If you are going to be watercooling and are serious about overclocking then I would go with a prescott because the L2 cache increase gives a good boost to your memory bandwidth, which is always nice. So if on water and overclocking, I'd go with a prescotts, and if your not overclocking, or just overclocking on air, I would go with a northwood. And for phase change, I would go with a northwood, because unless you regass a phase change unit and mod it a prescott won't really get into a nice beneficial temp range.

Well people never liked prescotts for overclocking because of the whole heat killing their CPUs and mobos issue, but now that i'm going to be watercooling soon, I think I'm going to get a prescott. :D

And aNTiChRisT, I honestly don't trust that database all that much. I've seen some people trying to pass a p2 off as a p4

Cerberus2k7 said:
Well people never liked prescotts for overclocking because of the whole heat killing their CPUs and mobos issue, but now that i'm going to be watercooling soon, I think I'm going to get a prescott. :D

And aNTiChRisT, I honestly don't trust that database all that much. I've seen some people trying to pass a p2 off as a p4

I don't think any Pressy's themselves were ever the victim of their own heat since they are able to handle the heat better than a northwood. But I do concur with whole "Prescott the mobo Killer" statement.

I run my SL7KC 3.2E @ 3.92Ghz 24/7 and temps aren't really an issue (45 C idle, 56 C Load). Vcore fluctuates from 1.44-1.46V. I can get mine stable @ 4Ghz using 1.46-1.48V but i don't really want to burn my CPU out just for a 80Mhz increase. Besides, i can run my ram with better timmings @ 3.92Ghz. :)

Ive got a 3.0E 'C0' Stepping, I havent messed around with the vcore much, but I am able to hit 3.6 on water with stock vcore, prime stable for 12+ hours. load temps are 30c idle 40c full load.

Myhre said:
I don't know why everyone is holding onto the idea that Prescotts don't OC well. On the average Prescotts seem to oc just as high, if not higher, and more frequently than Northwoods. I beleive this is mainly because of the fact that the Pressy is the successor to the northwood and since Intel plans on coming out with higher mhz prescotts in the next few months while the northwoods are maxxing out at 3.4(to my knowledge) they prescotts are going to have more overhead. If you are going to be watercooling and are serious about overclocking then I would go with a prescott because the L2 cache increase gives a good boost to your memory bandwidth, which is always nice. So if on water and overclocking, I'd go with a prescotts, and if your not overclocking, or just overclocking on air, I would go with a northwood. And for phase change, I would go with a northwood, because unless you regass a phase change unit and mod it a prescott won't really get into a nice beneficial temp range.
Prescotts do overclock quite well I might add. Another reason why I think people hold the idea that they are not very good overclockers is because since they are relatively inefficient about holding thermal power in (power escaping through the transistor gates in the form of heat a.k.a. a hot CPU), they can be horrible to overclock if you have terrible cooling. Like any CPU, if you cannot control the temperatures, or have trouble controlling them at stock, you are most likely not going to be pushing that CPU to its maximum overclocking limit.

You are correct about the L2 cache, it also has double the L1 cache which I believe is for the branch predictor, and it has an improved branch predictor. Not to mention the added instructions as well. Although...I am not sure..but the long 31 stage pipeline could cripple its performance to the point where it generally evens out the previously mentioned advantages? It would be one hell of a chip if it could run at the clock speeds it is running now, with the improvements, yet with the Northwood 20 stage pipeline. Or could you imagine those clock speeds with the P3 or AMD k7 10 stage pipeline (OK I am dreaming now.....).

I personally do not know much about Intel CPU's but based off of what I do know, I would get a Prescott to overclock vs. a Northwood if I had adequate cooling.

-@md0Cer
:cool:

What would be the best way to help so my mobo doesnt die out on me? It will be running off an Abit Ai7(Already have it)

I have a Tt Volcano 7+ copper heatsink that i'm not using. Should I cut that up and use those to cool the mosfets? I also have a stock P4 heatsink.

From my experience, the IC7 works much better with the Prescott than the AI7. Apparently, the power circuitry is wimpier on the i865 chipsets. Certainly the mosfets are smaller and get hotter on the AI7 compared to the IC7. The AI7 did ok at stock vcore, but as soon as I tried increasing voltage, the PWM temps went through the roof.

anybody know what stepping 2.8Es are shipping from newegg currently?
I'm looking for the new SL7KA DOs :)

batboy said:
From my experience, the IC7 works much better with the Prescott than the AI7. Apparently, the power circuitry is wimpier on the i865 chipsets. Certainly the mosfets are smaller and get hotter on the AI7 compared to the IC7. The AI7 did ok at stock vcore, but as soon as I tried increasing voltage, the PWM temps went through the roof.

Well I already have the Ai7, and unless I trade it here(Still have everything also), I don't see me getting an IC7 anytime soon. And as for airflow, this case rocks(Antec PlusView1000AMG) Rock solid and awesome airflow. Temps went down a lot when I put the door on, and solved my crashing issues. So that, and me moving to a cooler climate, will help out a lot.

ablaze said:
anybody know what stepping 2.8Es are shipping from newegg currently?
I'm looking for the new SL7KA DOs :)

I talked to a guy from Intel and he said the only 478 D0's that are being shipped in the US are the 3.2 KC's, but then again he could be wrong. But if I were you I would go with a 3.0E instead of a 2.8E. The 3.0's seem to be better overclockers on average than the 2.8's. Just my observation and opinion.

I just checked out that post. That superpi time seems wierd. 36 sec at 280fsb? I pulled 35sec at 250fsb with a [email protected], so he must have pretty horrible ram. That's a very nice oc, makes me want to try out another D0 pressy. But I'll just be satisfied that I finally got one to 250fsb(hides credit card) :p

Back