• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How bad can it possibly get?...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Epox

Registered
Joined
May 12, 2003
Location
Ohio
You say that most watercoolign kits are bad?
Then look at these. Tell me what is the worst thing about them.


Thermal Take Aquarius II

Ahanix Iceberg I

CPUFx Basic Kit I


Super CPU Watercooling Kit

When my friends see my setup and start asking me how they can do it too, I rather reccomend them to a kit first before telling them to go buy parts seprate.

Also, give me an exampel of why buyign parts seprate would save you money rather than buying one of the above kits?
 

cV

Member
Joined
Feb 28, 2003
Location
Arizona
If people want to go for easy-to-setup kits, then why screw them with subpar performing ones?

These are all decent-performing kits:
Logicooling.com Evo kit
Maze3 Kit (new)
Asetek waterchill
Corsair hydrocool
Any of the 1/2" ID Swiftechs

Easy to built, non-screwant, and well performing. :)


BTW- I'm an epox fan myself. Four boards.. impressed with all of them. :D
 

altec

polka dot ninja
Joined
Dec 23, 2002
Location
Doylestown, PA
I think the reason that people suggest buying all the parts yourself, is that you can play with it a little more and make it a little more custom, and also later on down the road it is easier to upgrade specific parts and such...
 

n6b72g

Member
Joined
Mar 17, 2003
I think most of the kits you have listed their probably won't outperform high end air cooling.
 

cV

Member
Joined
Feb 28, 2003
Location
Arizona
NO, they will. The crappo mini-rad mini-pump 1/4" ID kits won't outperform high-end air. :rolleyes:

And these kits use standard fittings and tubes so one can easily swap out wbs, rads, and pumps. :rolleyes:
 
OP
E

Epox

Registered
Joined
May 12, 2003
Location
Ohio
And these kits use standard fittings and tubes so one can easily swap out wbs, rads, and pumps.

Thats what I'm thinking too. But then again the there may be problems like the pump not liking the additional pressure added by switching to a more constrictive radiator or wb.


and BtW, Cv, I am not actually a Epox fan, I only have used Biostar Motherboards, but I liked the name Epox when I first heard about their boards and started using it ever since.
 

Cathar

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 8, 2002
Location
Melbourne, Australia
cV said:
NO, they will. The crappo mini-rad mini-pump 1/4" ID kits won't outperform high-end air. :rolleyes:

And these kits use standard fittings and tubes so one can easily swap out wbs, rads, and pumps. :rolleyes:

I think the comment was directed at the opening post's list of kits, not yours cV

You also left out DTek.
 
OP
E

Epox

Registered
Joined
May 12, 2003
Location
Ohio
ha! That kit is 80buxx, throw a parts list my way which is under $80 buxx. They gave it a pretty good review for a entry kit too, so I think its a steal. I just don't think I'd get it because it looks unattractive, lol. Yeah thats not a good reason to base a purchase but I have a window on my case.

But yeah, try to build a system that will out-preform that one and still be cheaper! I want a parts list, store purchased from, and prices + shipping if bought over the internet. Otherwise your statement it just what you think and not the actual truth.

Sorry I had to come at you that way but I'd like to see some solid reasons behind this claim that "kits in general cost more", etc...
 

CrashOveride

Member
Joined
Jun 22, 2002
Location
Asheville, NC
Epox said:
ha! That kit is 80buxx, throw a parts list my way which is under $80 buxx. They gave it a pretty good review for a entry kit too, so I think its a steal. I just don't think I'd get it because it looks unattractive, lol. Yeah thats not a good reason to base a purchase but I have a window on my case.

But yeah, try to build a system that will out-preform that one and still be cheaper! I want a parts list, store purchased from, and prices + shipping if bought over the internet. Otherwise your statement it just what you think and not the actual truth.

Sorry I had to come at you that way but I'd like to see some solid reasons behind this claim that "kits in general cost more", etc...

i admit i posted that before looking but if i had looked first i would have added "in general GOOD..."

also,(this is not meant to sound liek a flame) you but you seem to think taht when some one says in general or most of the time they actualy meant every single time... you should assume, unless its a simple misspelling or something, that people mean what they say and say what they mean.
:D

oh and ill give it a shot:

home build block- 10bucks
danner mag 3 i think is 30 or via aquia is 20- 20- 30
tubes- home depote 10
rad- 5 bucks at a junkyard
clamps- 5 bucks home depte
fan- 10
70 bucks

ok now im not SURE that would out preform the 80- dollar one but it would at least give similar results.

i know you could make a better block and the HC as well as pump would be better too... so i think it would be better:D
 
OP
E

Epox

Registered
Joined
May 12, 2003
Location
Ohio
CrashOveride said:


i admit i posted that before looking but if i had looked first i would have added "in general GOOD..."

also,(this is not meant to sound liek a flame) you but you seem to think taht when some one says in general or most of the time they actualy meant every single time... you should assume, unless its a simple misspelling or something, that people mean what they say and say what they mean.
:D

oh and ill give it a shot:

home build block- 10bucks
danner mag 3 i think is 30 or via aquia is 20- 20- 30
tubes- home depote 10
rad- 5 bucks at a junkyard
clamps- 5 bucks home depte
fan- 10
70 bucks

ok now im not SURE that would out preform the 80- dollar one but it would at least give similar results.

i know you could make a better block and the HC as well as pump would be better too... so i think it would be better:D

Awww man, that sounds generaly good but what i think you may be missing are the specifics like shipping and:
-Where would you get metal for the block?
-Why would the fan cost 10buxx? lol, I'm thinkin more like 5 for cheap 120 or 90.. never 10...
-What about the resiviour. Sure a tupperware would work but it costs cash too... We are talking about building a decent, respectable system that will fit in a case. So don't go looking for a 10, 20 gallon bucket to use as a resiviour... ;)
-The block of copper itself is not enough, depending on the block design you'll need screws, nuts or whater to hold specifics in place, plug up holes (cross drilled). Also look into needing some gaskets to seal the block up if it is made out of more than 1 piece of metal. All of these things cost money too...

Those details above are the type of things that push projects over their limits, like for example $80. I'm not trying to say it cannot be done, I'm just saying that I've never seen it be done.

I guess its just me, but being a teenager I can't really get out to the junkyard to get radiators n such. But thats always an options...:)
 

CrashOveride

Member
Joined
Jun 22, 2002
Location
Asheville, NC
Epox said:


Awww man, that sounds generaly good but what i think you may be missing are the specifics like shipping and:
-Where would you get metal for the block?
-Why would the fan cost 10buxx? lol, I'm thinkin more like 5 for cheap 120 or 90.. never 10...
-What about the resiviour. Sure a tupperware would work but it costs cash too... We are talking about building a decent, respectable system that will fit in a case. So don't go looking for a 10, 20 gallon bucket to use as a resiviour... ;)
-The block of copper itself is not enough, depending on the block design you'll need screws, nuts or whater to hold specifics in place, plug up holes (cross drilled). Also look into needing some gaskets to seal the block up if it is made out of more than 1 piece of metal. All of these things cost money too...

Those details above are the type of things that push projects over their limits, like for example $80. I'm not trying to say it cannot be done, I'm just saying that I've never seen it be done.

I guess its just me, but being a teenager I can't really get out to the junkyard to get radiators n such. But thats always an options...:)

metal i know you can get it from lots of places but there are some articles on how to make a popcan block, block using a copper cap (for piping and stuff) and lots of other things that give suggestions on where to get it but the only place i know off the top of my head is DD:
http://www.dangerden.com/mall/Metal/metal_stock.asp
so you would need to add a little for shipping, if you really want me to i can go find those articles too but i must admit i dont really want to go find em... im lazy :-/
i may have gone a little low on the block i admit... but the pop can one is basicly a piece of alu or copper, bottom of a pop can marine gooped on there with 2 tubes for inlet/outlet, preforms well for what it is i must say (it was the masked one's article/idea). i would drill holes for mountin then you would need some botls and stuff for that but he used lexan with holes in it and a big one in the middle for mounting... so assuming you dont have any of the stuff cept for tools (drill and scissors i think) you could probably make it for like 15 bucks

well 15 for a good fan... i went down to 10 cuz i figured you could get a cheaper one... thats for still being a little quiter, you could find a cheaper one i agree

no res but you could use some tupperware and epoxy or somthing liek that to hold it- wouldnt use a res if i built one- lots of people dont
 
OP
E

Epox

Registered
Joined
May 12, 2003
Location
Ohio
I'll stop attacking you about the price if you will admit that its hard to build a water cooling system equivilant to the senfu I pointed out earlier, and still be under 80 buxx, lol.
I'm just looking for answers and information.
I'll come back with a absolute pricelist for a cheap setup in a few minutes :D
 

CrashOveride

Member
Joined
Jun 22, 2002
Location
Asheville, NC
Epox said:
I'll stop attacking you about the price if you will admit that its hard to build a water cooling system equivilant to the senfu I pointed out earlier, and still be under 80 buxx, lol.
I'm just looking for answers and information.
I'll come back with a absolute pricelist for a cheap setup in a few minutes :D

um... sorry cant do that here are some DYI block that out preforme the senfu system, addmittedly with a better pump but you could easily get the same prefromance with what i listed (beats your price).

oh and the copper cap block is on there... he made it for under 5 bucks but didnt buy the stock... so my 10$ price stands.

actuayl i will admit that it would be hard... but only because you would need to do somthing. but if you dont mind havint some fun building the stuff and dropping a rad in some coke over night its not "hard" to find the stuff if you know where to look.
 

LittlePiggie

Member
Joined
Sep 30, 2002
Location
Oregon
5 feet of 1/2" ID clearflex == $4.90
8x hose clamps == $4.00
nemesis block == 44
chevette heatercore == ~15 if you get it at a wrecking yard
maxijet 1200 == 19.00 free shipping
2x cheap fans off ebay == 6+5 for shipping

total == 97.9

and that system will outperform any of those listed in your post

it may be a little more, but it is worth it IMO
 
OP
E

Epox

Registered
Joined
May 12, 2003
Location
Ohio
Cheapest setup I can think of:
All prices include shipping, if any at all...
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Aluminum Waterblock + Maxi-Jet Power Head = $43.66 | Becooling
Heatercore from any local auto place = $20.00 and lower
Resiviour/ Container from dollar store (3pack) = $2.50 and lower
Tubing from Home Depot = $5.00 and lower
Clamps from Home Depot = $7.00 and lower
Barbs from Home Depot(for pump and resiviour)= $5.00 and lower //*arguable
Distilled Water from where ever = $5.00 and lower
Fan for heater core from openlinx = $12.00
Teflon/Plumbers Tape from where ever = $1.50 and lower
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Total: ~101.16

You gotta asume the person does not have any of the needed -watercooling stuff to begin with.
*Most pump i have seen only come with 1 barb if any at all, they assume that you will be submerging the pump...

LittlePiggie, tell me about your 50 cent hose clamps..
-Tell me where you plan to put the special distilled water.. Oops! You didn't buy any of that distilled water! rotflmao!
-If you are going to get the nemesis block for 44, why not spring the extra bucks and get a denger den special?
-I really don't know where you are going to get the nemesis block, and the pump from. You never said where you can buy them at..

One more thing, its not under 80 buxx so that really makes the entire list kinda useless because you never met the requirement... :eek:
 
Last edited:

CrashOveride

Member
Joined
Jun 22, 2002
Location
Asheville, NC
LittlePiggie said:
5 feet of 1/2" ID clearflex == $4.90
8x hose clamps == $4.00
nemesis block == 44
chevette heatercore == ~15 if you get it at a wrecking yard
maxijet 1200 == 19.00 free shipping
2x cheap fans off ebay == 6+5 for shipping

total == 97.9

and that system will outperform any of those listed in your post

it may be a little more, but it is worth it IMO

and make a decent cheap block and you can get it under the price and you can get the HC for cheaper too.