• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how can i lock the bios on my AA8XE so nobody can get into bios

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Time4aMassiveOC

hey guys im building a rig to be sold overclocked. i plan on offering a warrenty and i want to lock the bios so they cannot tamper with the important settings. i will be locking the case in a tamper evident manner as well.

any ideas???

Time4aMassiveOC said:
hey guys im building a rig to be sold overclocked. i plan on offering a warrenty and i want to lock the bios so they cannot tamper with the important settings. i will be locking the case in a tamper evident manner as well.

any ideas???

Doesnt your mb have them somewhere where at the boot settings are. I know I have at the moment with this P4P800-SE i'm currently using :)

You can set a password (see BIOS menu screenshot). The only problem is that a smart geek will figure out all they have to do is clear the CMOS. But, a lot of people that aren't computer savy won't know how to do that.

AA8XE+main+menu.JPG

good deal, i get back the computer and if the cmos has been cleared and its warrenty is void, nice batboy, you are the man!

oh yes and not to forget mr cooper, who was right on the money. :p

im also planning on sealing the computer case. opening it will void the warrenty too im thinking.

any thoughts on that?

Do the double sticky voids... ;) Or just put ordinary screws on the sideplates and some fingerpaint, or nailpaint. Void is visuable at a glance plus you have the intrusion active, or just go with a bolt. Don't know the english word for it, but a bolt where you use a "gun" to blow it up.
<--I to I--I If you understand this small illustration
Just use a drill to take 'em away and reinsert new one's when you have checked warranty etc..

Time4aMassiveOC said:
184-185*14 lol. hopefully ill be able to get up there.

Ummm, hopefully that's a typo.

Personally, I would not do the pop rivet thing. If you or they ever need into the case, you have to drill them out which will get metal shavings onto electronic components, not good. Between the BIOS password and a warning sticker/fingernail polish on screws, plus maybe a written notice with the receipt as to what will void the warranty should be enough.

totally a typo. yeah no rivets.

i dont wanna ruin the asthetic of a nice case with peice of unique warning tape on the outside,

and i would find a way to put warning tape on the inside, but i would have no way to tell if it had been breached without opeing it and breaching it myself.

i need one of those dell locking cases.. lmao... put a padlock on it dremel my initials into the part that goes into the lock. that would totally work... but still not asthetic

yeah. i dunno i would just give up and use a rivet, but i dont want the person who decides to void the warrenty not to be able to get in without drilling

what is this about nail polish? how will it be obvious? im thinking i may go with the nail polish

i wonder if the computer can track the number of times the case has been opened with a sensor.

Is this what you are looking for?
http://www.tapeline.com/stockprints/tamper-evident/tamper-evident_labels.html
This will help you (not) mod the case and look a bit more professional. I wonder if you could print out your contact information on it for support if need be. I know gateway has or had stickers on their cases just like this. When you put a tamper seal of any kind you offer top notch support terms. So consider the end result on applying this method of tamper proofing. Also what is outlined in writing to save your "seat" in case of support issues.

Edit: I should mention the rear of the case would be the most reasonable location to put this type of sticker. Along the rear seam. It would not be overly visible and be there as needed. :D

Last edited:
If you fill the phillip heads of the screws that secure the side panel with fingernail polish, then you can tell if it's been tampered with at a glance. Or put a stripe across the screw to the case, so if the screw is turned you can tell. I guess you can cut a pop rivet apart with a hammer and chisel. Forgot that I've done that before.

Back