• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How does a HSF work?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ToF

Registered
Hey All!
On a HSF Combo, is the fan meant to blow air onto the HS or is the fan meant to suck hot air from the HS?
And which method is best?
I have a no name bulky copper HS and a Y.S.Tech 60 mm 7200RPM fan that im going to stick on top but I don't know which way would cool better???
Anyway do you think that heat sink could get my Celeron 466MHz up to 700MHz (7X100FSB) at a stable condition? (right now it's running at 525MHz (7X75FSB) stable with stock Intel HSF.
All Suggestions and Opinions Appreciated.
ToF :)

MO is blowing on the HS rather than sucking, because it moves the air at a higher CFM. Correct ?

From my experience, blowing air into the heatsink cools it better, and when the air blows out of the heatsink, then it is quieter. It vaires depending on the design of the heatsink. It looks like you have a Globalwin CAK38 resembling HSF. Those 6cm fans are very loud. It would also be hard to say how high you can OC that celeron since it depends on the stepping, voltage, motherboard, dividers, etc. I'm assuming that the processor has a 66 mhz fsb,, if your board supports 100 fsb processors then you should be able to set it at that speed depending on your BIOS, or dip switches on the board itself.

OK Thank You Everyone for Your Help.
I think I'll let my fan blow on my copper heatsink. (BTW. My Celeron has a 66MHz FSB)

Last edited:
LiGhTBoY said:
MO is blowing on the HS rather than sucking, because it moves the air at a higher CFM. Correct ?

What is CFM, and what does it mean/do? Is higher or lower CFM better? And Why?

CFM means Cubic Feet per minute. Higher is better but also louder!

I try to use the bigger fans since they push the same amout of air, but a lot quieter.

Back