• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How good is my Athlon XP stepping?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
OK, ran it @ 166 x 11, which is 1833 MHz, or equivalent to Sempron 2600+ or slightly over XP 2200+ (1.8 GHz). It was Prime95 stable for less than 5 minutes, with vcore set to 1.85. Again, this doesn't look good at all.

They offered to RMA the chip? You are lucky they did that. The user comment on
ResellerRatings about E Net Marketing responding to their bent & battered CPU with:
"we give customers great price because we send "B" grade CPUs""
- really had me wondering.
You never know, maybe they will send you a real T-bred B next time. Shouldn't be any
worse than what you have.

And I agree wholeheartedly that buying form a reputable vendor is worth
a few extra dollars. Always check ResellerRatings.com at least.

Susquehannock said:
They offered to RMA the chip? You are lucky they did that. The user comment on
ResellerRatings about E Net Marketing responding to their bent & battered CPU with:
"we give customers great price because we send "B" grade CPUs""
- really had me wondering.
You never know, maybe they will send you a real T-bred B next time. Shouldn't be any
worse than what you have.

And I agree wholeheartedly that buying form a reputable vendor is worth
a few extra dollars. Always check ResellerRatings.com at least.

Yeah, I see the error of my ways now. The cash I saved will pretty much go down the crapper when I have to pay for shipping both ways to RMA it. What I'm really concerend about is that they'll claim nothing is wrong with it, since it does run at 1700+ speeds (maybe not stably or correctly, but I doubt they care about that), and I'll be left with either nothing at all, or the same chip plus shipping costs. It really tans my hide to think about places that do business like this.

What exactly leads you to believe L4's have been tampered with (i.e closed)? The L4 was only ever of use in Palominos and earlier and your WCPUID (family, model, stepping id) shows you have a Tbred A. L4 does nothing on Tbreds. As to the remarking well that is definite as NO XP 1700+ Tbred was ever a DKV3C just tell your supplier that the only 1700+s were DLT3C and DUT3C. Strange thing is why its marked as such (typically remarking involves taking say a XP1700+ and remarking it as say a XP2400+ by changing the L3 bridges and putting on a new sticker). The only explanation I can think of is that it is a tampered Applebred (duron) with the missing L2 cache enabled. This would involve closing the L2's though not L4's. This would also match the WCPUID information you have as they are based on Tbred cores.

Last edited:
Yeah, I don't really understand it. Every single one of the L4 bridges have been filled in with the same silver-colored crap. Maybe messing with those on Palomino's makes it ID as a TBred? I really have no clue. The strange thing is, one stepping was AIUHB and the other JIUHB, both of which imply TBred B. Could it have been remarked twice?

No you cant trick WCPUID into thinking a pally is a Tbred - are you 100% sure its the L4's? Like I said closing the L2's would explain it being a Duron initially. Your WCPUID clearly show it to be a 680 version so at best a Tbred A. (If your stepping ID was 1 in WCPUID then it would be a TBred B)

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's the L4's. I'll check for sure when I pull it after my Barton 2500+ comes in a few days. But as I remember it, L2 bridges are untouched. I really don't think it was a Duron initially, because I've had no problems with the cache, only with the heat and voltage (and being unable to get even a halfway decent OC).

Then there is no valid explanation as DKV3C's were only available in Tbreds at 2400+ and 2600+ in Tbred B's and 2200+ in Tbred A.

Yeah, well I don't think it was really DKV3C, I think that's fake too. Although I did look at the L12 bridges, and before modification they looked like they were in fact set to 1.65v. Do any of the chips mentioned in the previous post have a default multiplier of 11? Mine is unlocked, but defaults to 11. So perhaps it's another model that was faulty and set to 1.467 GHz.

No as they are all 133FSB (except for the 2600+ which can occur at 166FSB) they have higher multis and they are rated higher. The 2600+ 166FSB version has a multi of 12.5 so that doesnt fit either. Just out of interest where you saw it as L4's was the "L4" marking above or to the side of the bridges in question?

The L4 marking was to the left side of the bridges, assuming you are looking at the chip with the sticker on the bottom, right side up so it is legible.

Thing is I am not even sure sure the Tbred has L4 bridges! You sure it was L4? Edit
Just checked there is no L4 bridge on Tbreds. In relation to the sticker being to the bottom of the cpu where exactly were these bridges - upper left, upper right or middle right?

Last edited:
Looked like L4 to me, since it was near L1, L2, and L3. So closing all of them enables the extra cache, I'm guessing?

They have been tempered because he got a used CPU that was returned by someone who didn't know what a heck they were modding, it would appear.

douglasb wasn't aware when he was placing his order that the place he was ordering from has this policy:

"...We give customers great price because we send "B" grade CPUs..."

'mystery solved', as they say... :eek:

Back