• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How many amps would a [email protected] draw on home circuit?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ed.howell

Hi guys,

I have some crazy stuff happening on a 15amp home circuit I have my computer plugged into. I have my 61" DLP television, cable box, stereo receiver, surround sound plugged into the same 15 amp circuit. The wiring is 1 year old, I wired it myself with 14-2 copper with a ground.
I noticed a while ago that I was getting random lockups with my comcast DVR HI-Def cable box so I had them replace it. Then the new box started to do the same thing and I noticed that it was when I was stress testing my computer and when I tried to turn the tv on the cable box would shut off.
Well just now I had my computer stress testing and I tried to turn my tv on and it did some weird things and I noticed that the cable box also shut off.

So my question is how much amperage do you think the setup in my sig draws?

My dad has a meter to test it I am going to borrow tomorrow, I was just wondering if anyone had an idea.

Thanks,
Ed

Well, it's hard to state how many actual amps you system is pulling, but you need to get it off the same breaker as the DLP. When your father tests the receptacle, it would be a good idea to test it with the TV on, and he should get no less than 116v for a reading.
Anything less than that, and there's a prob.
I found, that if a computer cannot be on its own circuit, it should be on a circuit with dedicated Lighting at least.
You really need to either;
1= pull new wire on that circuit,(12 ga.)and get it on a 20amp breaker
2= get the computer on a differnet circuit, that hasn't got any other heavy Draws as to amperage.
Hope this helps, and yes.... I do electrical work.

Big Lar said:
Well, it's hard to state how many actual amps you system is pulling, but you need to get it off the same breaker as the DLP. When your father tests the receptacle, it would be a good idea to test it with the TV on, and he should get no less than 116v for a reading.
Anything less than that, and there's a prob.
I found, that if a computer cannot be on its own circuit, it should be on a circuit with dedicated Lighting at least.
You really need to either;
1= pull new wire on that circuit,(12 ga.)and get it on a 20amp breaker
2= get the computer on a differnet circuit, that hasn't got any other heavy Draws as to amperage.
Hope this helps, and yes.... I do electrical work.

Thanks Big Lar!!!
I was going to put the computer on a dedicated circuit with 12ga wire and a 20 amp breaker just like you said. :thup:
I just would have never thought that I would have to be worrying about this otherwise I would have done this before I totally finished my basement, when it was easier!! :rolleyes:
I will let you know how many amps it pulls when I get my fathers tester from him.

Thanks again,

Ed

Back