• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How many rigs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm running on two computers myself, and used to have two of my friends run them on all their computers. It totaled 6 computers I think, and we normally turned out around 20-25WUs/day. We would also occationally shoot through the stats when one of my friends would dump/refill his cache through me since he didn't have an internet connection.

JigPu

4 Rigs total

2 P4's (in my sig)
2 very old slow boxes

I'm tempted to build on of those diskless crunchers. The thought of putting 4-6 mobo's in a small space, without needing vid cards, monitors and hard drives is very seductive.

I have 8 machines here in my den, running 10 clients.

I'm in the ending process of weeding out the P3 machines (only 1 left), and switching to AMD "heaters".

At that point, I am going to switch them one at a time to duallies, until I can keep the same output with fewer boxes here.

none whatsoever. I just recentently got into this whole computer stuff. I bought an alienware comp last summer, and during winter break from school I started getting into modding a little bit, reading different forums and looking at pictures etc... A while later I nearly broke my neck (playing rugby of course) and was out for a bit. That's when I got into computers, mostly because I could do nothing but sit there and read things. Now I realize that I should have built my own computer, and not spent way too much money on the alienware. I like the case though... Well sorry about my life story. Back to you Bob.

Well you're very fortunate it wasn't more serious, and you made good use of your down time. Linux can be confusing and frustrating coming from a windows background, but if you take it slow it's not as daunting as it might seem. Redhat is probably the easiest way to get your feet wet - gui setup much like windows. From there you can start branching out a little and learning about the directory structure, etc. To set the cluster up you can literally follow the instructions step by step and be on your way once you learn how to navigate in linux.

This is very interesting. I think once I get a job and get some money I might look more into it, and possibly build my own little rig. From what I can see from that video in the site alls you need is a psu, case, mobo hs and ram? That could make for some cheap SETI runners! relatively speaking. Memory is cheap as heck nowadays. Could you run those on just 128 mbs?

Uh, video - what video heh? Anyway yeah you can run them on as little as 32MB. I have one board that has a 32MB PC133 module in it.

There was a realtime video on one of the websites explaining how to make the linux system. It just showed how to put together the actual components.

I think you could probably get a big case, or box or something and just put a few of them in there.

Back