• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How much Watt=1Volt?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
As written, that is not a direct conversion...

In order to figure watts (or power), you have to have 2 values to go off from. Using Ohms law, you would multiply amperage times volts to get watts.
For instance a 12 volt circuit drawing 2 amps would consume 24 watts of power (12*2=24).

A 60 watt light bulb powered by 120 volts in a house would draw .5 amp of current (60/120= .5).

A device in the house drawing 2 amps of current would consume 120 watts of power (2*120 = 240).

A 1500 watt toaster in the house would draw about 12.5 amps. (1500/120 = 12.5 amps). So a toaster in a house should be on a seperate circuit that is fused for 15 amps.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_watts_in_1_volt#ixzz1CFGnZ8eI

Voltage * Amps = Watts

So, if you have something running on 115 volts, drawing 10 amps, it would be using 115 Watts. Be more specific with what you need to figure out and maybe we can help.

EDIT: I see earthdog beat me lol

Again, its not a direct conversion like that. Volts dont translate directly to watts as you want it.

For example, a 12v fan that uses .7A = 8.4W or 12v*.7A= 8.4Watts

What you are trying to do is this 12v*? = ?W. You need to know the AMPERAGE in order to determine the watts at 12v.

Again, its not a direct conversion like that. Volts dont translate directly to watts as you want it.

For example, a 12v fan that uses .7A = 8.4W or 12v*.7A= 8.4Watts

What you are trying to do is this 12v*? = ?W. You need to know the AMPERAGE in order to determine the watts at 12v.
Okay I saw the label on my cooling fan...It says 12V and 0.37A :bang head

Voltage is the current level in the line. Wattage and amperage are actual draw on that current level. You can draw 1/10th of an amp on 115 watts or 10 amps on 115 watts.

1 amp at 12 volts is LESS power than 1 amp at 115 volts than 1 amp at 240V etc.

Okay I saw the label on my cooling fan...It says 12V and 0.37A :bang head

12 * .37 = 4.44

... so 4.4 watts for the fan you listed the info of. Any calculator can do that conversion btw ;)

Back