• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how much would you pay for this...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tcg23

Registered
I know the "Rate My System" and "How much would you pay..." posts get old fast, so I will apologize in advance.
I have an oppurunity to get a used laptop for a decent price, it's not fast, but it's just what I need.

Toshiba Tecra 8000
266Mhz
66Mhz FSB
256k L2 Cache
6.4Gig 5400RPM HDD ATA/66
128mb of RAM
Internal Modem
PCMCIA Combo Card (NIC/56k Modem)
24x CD-ROM (Removable)
Battery (Removable, Dead, guy took that into consideration)
Floppy (Removable and/or External)
Neomagic 2.5Mb Video Card
13.3 TFT LCD

AC Adapter
Docking Station
Targa Bag

(Video and Network Card are UNIX compatabile, which is a plus for me)

Please let me know what would you pay for this? Refurbished ones from Toshiba sells for over 400.00 bucks.
Tia,
-TheComputerguy23

Doesn't Dell sell a current laptop for $499 after rebate? $400 bux for a 266 is pretty steep. $200 is more in line.

I don't want a brand new one, I want a used one. I don't need a laptop bad enough to merit a new one. The price I would by the laptop for is 375.00, I've read reviews on the laptop and the reviews were good. I just need to know if it's really worth 375.00, Thanks for the fast reply.
More opinions welcome.
-TheComputerGuy23

P.S. I looked at the Dell laptops, I don't want a Centrino, the X200 looks like the crappiest one there is and it starts at 1,400.00. A refurbed Latitude X200 is over 1,500.00.

I agree with srs. $400 is way too much for a 266 mhz laptop. Try going to your local computer show and see what you can find there. Also, take a look at Ebay.

True, but I would rather buy something from someone I know rather than off Ebay. Compared to the prices at simplybargains.com 375.00 for a 266mhz laptop isn't all that steep.
Check it out: http://simplybargains.com/notebooks.html

A 300Mhz Toshiba Tecra is 480.00 bucks, so that means there's almost a hundred dollar difference for 24 mhz. I think I am going to get the laptop, the only bad thing I've read is that the chassis isn't the strongest in the world, but the laptop comes with a Targa Bag, so as long as you're careful (which you should be careful to the point of paranoia, if you have a laptop) then it should be ok.
Thanks everyone for their opinions..
-TheComputerGuy23

$375 is way to much, I bought an NEC versa P233 for $50 but it was lacking HDD & AC adaptor which I was able to pic up both for less than $100.

Back