• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to clean up old thermal paste?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That discoloration on your chip is worrisome. Typically they're a nice even colour but that one almost looks like it's slightly burnt.

This card has got 3 years or even 4. From the begining it is working on 50*C while surfiing the net etc and around 80-90 while gaming. For the shop where I bought it - "that temps are normal for that GPU"...

Maybe it's a bad light. :D

The guarantee ended after 2 years and now i decided to change a thermal paste. Let's check out how the temps will look like now. I'll mount it and start after 5 hours, because I have to go out now.

Regards,
Leito

I hope that's all it is. So you've never had any real problems with it it's just always ran hot.

eh if you got an old tooth brush wet it with some alcohol or what ever you were using and it should take that stuff off of those, if im right those are small resistors, or caps, or both and if that stuff is conductive at all it could cause some issues.

eh if you got an old tooth brush wet it with some alcohol or what ever you were using and it should take that stuff off of those, if im right those are small resistors, or caps, or both and if that stuff is conductive at all it could cause some issues.
I agree Wagex, though judging by the previous pictures it probably would have caused issues already.

That discoloration on your chip is worrisome. Typically they're a nice even colour but that one almost looks like it's slightly burnt.

Im going to guess that its the camera angle / lighting. That GPU looks fine to me.

The resistors on the edge of the GPU should be cleaned, the best way is to clean with a soft brush and a bit of isopropyl alcohol. An old toothbrush is what Id use, mostly because picking the cotton from Qtips or cotton swabs off them is a PITA.

If the temps were your only concern new paste and a remount will help.

Hi again! :welcome:

I am writing now from my PC. :comp:

While running Heaven Benchmark the temperature didn't even raise over 60*C :D. It's something about 30% less than before :drool:! Now after benching, while writing this post - 42*C. :thup:

GPU-Z is telling me about 4 temperatures on graphic card and every temperature is lower. :bday: GPU fan went max to 39% of speed, while usually while benching it went over 50%. :attn:

I am really happy I wish I did it earlier. :rolleyes:

Now I can do some overclocking :bump:

Thank You everybody for help. How many "Thanks" I can click in 1 thread? :rolleyes:

Regards,
Leito

Nicely done, glad that did the trick and brought your temperatures back down to reasonable levels. Its a good feeling when you accomplish something like that :)

Thank You everybody for help. How many "Thanks" I can click in 1 thread? :rolleyes:

Regards,
Leito

You can thank any post once by clicking the thanks button on the bottom right corner. There is no limit by the thread.

Gratz on your cleanup, always nice to see a bit of elbow greese pay off. The new overclock should improve your gaming experience.

A soft toothbrush will help a great deal here. Whoever put that paste on was subscribing to the notion that "more is better"..:bang head

You mentioned that you are in Poland, is it possible something is getting lost in translation? The alcohol to use is what is commonly used for wound care, but the less water in it the better. Usually 70% alcohol is available, and 99% can be bought (at least in the US) without too much trouble. Pure, distilled deionized water isn't a problem, but most people don't have that sitting around. It's what we use to clean circuit boards when we make them. Tap water or distilled water is not the same thing. I have no idea what sort they mix with the alcohol, so the less the better! :)

The ONLY reason to use the paste, is to fill tiny air gaps that are unavoidable when trying to get two surfaces to touch that aren't flexible and also are not quite perfectly flat. The trick is to place the paste in an "X" shape, and press. To really do a good job takes skill, and that means trying it, pulling off the heatsink and observing. From this, you can see that putting a large glob on wasn't a good idea.

The X shape is important, it gives you the best chance at not trapping any air bubbles. Other shapes can work but the X does.

Back