• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to inprove times?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FerrariF50

I can finnish a WU in about 24 hours.. so far I have done 10 of them and I joined about 3-4 weeks ago.... I'm number 472 on the stats page.... is their anyway to speed this up??? and would my upcomeing system the Amd 1.2 Ghz provide better speed?

yes, the 1.2 will cut the WU time to about 8 or less hours
i can do 1 WU in about 12 hrs

I have a P2 400 that will do a unit in 12-14 hours...so your 450 should be doing about the same..

what version of the software are you running??

FerrariF50 said:
I can finnish a WU in about 24 hours.. so far I have done 10 of them and I joined about 3-4 weeks ago.... I'm number 472 on the stats page.... is their anyway to speed this up??? and would my upcomeing system the Amd 1.2 Ghz provide better speed?

A 1.2, configured properly can give you sub 6hr WU times. As for reducing WU times, here is a list of some of the things that can improve Seti performance:

> Run the command line client.
> If you are using Microsoft Office, turn off 'Find Fast'
> For overclockers, overclock by increasing fsb as opposed to the multiplier. More bandwidth means better performance.
> Setting Windows virtual memory to a min of at least 4x physical ram, using a disk utility such as Norton Speed Disk or Nuts and Bolts, defrag and optimize so as your virtual memory area is at the head of the disk
> Running Seti in RamDisk.
> Setting the clients priority to normal.
> Turn off all power management - in the bios as well as in the Operating System.
> Turn off any background tasks that don't need to run.
> In your Virus Scanning software, exclude the Seti directory.

There are probably more - but these are the things that I do to each of my machines.

18 Hour average (for 100% completion WU)
Cele466 (no OC here :( )

ummmm... you could install seti on a ramdisk, but that gives cirtain problems... I think chawken listed most speed tips.

JigPu

the only thing is.....why set virtual memory to "at least" 4x of physicl memory?? assumming u had 256MB in ur system, that's save to say to most power user & for the price of the memory rite now, "at least" 4x, that's a whole full 1Gig of virtual memory!! what in the world u'll need a whole Gig of virtual memory (especially consider the price of memory today!)??!! a data base server?

if u have enough physical memory, assumming 128MB+, preferable 256MB, then, the chance ur system will "hit" (need) to use virtual memory is very very low. typically, i would say 2-2.5x is more than enough for avage usage.

(i know there's some programs that will asscess virtual memory no matter how much phyical memory u had)

just my little 0.02 cents :rolleyes:

Last edited:
chaosdriven said:
In addition to what chawken has mentioned, adjusting your memory settings in BIOS can speeds things up a bit also.

Agreed Chaos... I think shadowing the BIOS in RAM is a big performance boost...

Also, I run 350Mb virtual on my graphics box (256Mb physical).. on some SETI boxes I am running 32Mb physical & 32Mb Virtual... seems to work EXCELLENT...

Crunch on!!!

Back