• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to quite me system (fans)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Garfield

How would I do this? I have four Sunon 80mm High Speed, a PSU fan, and the heatsink fan. Is there anything I could do to really lower the sound down? It's not so much that it bothers me, but late at night when all is quiet in the house my parents don't appreciate the loudness therefore causing me not to go on my computer at night :D. Any suggestions?

retrostat or do the 7v mod thing to slow fans down. one other option is to use bigger fans at a slower rpm while maintaining same cfm.

this is kinda ghetto i know, but it helps...I used a foam pad for camping..it has ridges and bumps. I put that in my case wherever I tought it may deaden sound..i know it's acoustic properties may not be great but it helps...I also placed foam on both my side panels...also, believe it or not, my duct set up worked to cut down on the sound as well. I will try the mouse pad trick some day as well...when I get around to it.

go to www.caseetc.com or www.pcmods.com and look at the fanbus and baybus

they both allow you to connect fans to a bus and regulate the speeds, as long as they are 12v and require less than 17watts each...

but afaik, you cant hook up the PSU to the fanbus...im not really sure about the HSF, b/c im gonna do watercooling, but you can definately hook that 80mm up...

the only way you couldnt use one of these is if you had a rotron or other really high-powered fan...

of course, you could just build a fanbus/baybus by yourself (www.fanbus.com) and not pay the $35-60 at caseetc or pcmods...

personally, im gonna build a baybus w/ 2 50w rheostats to regulate my 2 Rotron Major's...

the other option is to find a quieter HSF or go to watercooling...its expensive, but if loudness is a problem, h2o is the solution, plus you can overclock a helluva lot more

-peter

Try automotive light dimmers...

I use 93 Toyota Tercel. A little mod and they should control all your fans with NO problem...

I use 2 x 120mm, 2 x 92mm and an 80mm Delta...

The ordinary rheostats don't work for me...But these did...Get them used maybe for 6-7 USD or 10 CDN.

Garfield said:

I thought of using this foam. How much sound does it really cut down on? A greatly noticeable amount?

Not sure about the foam but Dynamat works pretty well from what I've heard.

If you put the panel on, and then close the door, you should barely hear it. But, if that's what your doing and it's still too loud, you can buy rheostats.

In Regards to my system......

Let me tell you, the panel is on and foam is attached to the sides and inside the case and it is still loud...not as loud, but louder than my duron w/ only 2 fans!
(but we r not talking about dynomat in my case)

Yodums said:
If you put the panel on, and then close the door, you should barely hear it. But, if that's what your doing and it's still too loud, you can buy rheostats.

Well, it's just a slight hum. But enough for them to hear it. I guess I could try the foam idea.

Back