• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HUGE difference between core temperatures (50 degress)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AliAkcza

Hi everyone.
Week ago i had changed my case from Zalman Z9 to Phanteks Enthoo Pro M. After that i decided to change my cooler and motherboard too.

PROBLEMS BEGIN

Old motherboard: MSI Z97-G43
new: ASUS Z97M PLUS

Old cooler: Thermalright Macho
New cooler1 : Enermax Liqtech 240
New cooler 2: Arctic Liquid Freezer 240
thermal paste : mx4

So... I was happy and started building my new PC.

4690k + ASUS Z97M PLUS + Enermax.
Results? About 20-30 degrees of difference between core 1 and 3-4. (max temp 75)

I thought that waterblock in enermax was warped so I changed my aio to Arctic Liquid Freezer 240.
Results?

It is possible that a new motherboard have some problems with sensors? I mean it cant read properly the temps from CPU?
Cooler was mounted a few times. Every single time the result is identical.

*** guys?
On my old Macho i had max temp 60-70 and differences between cores was max 6-7 degrees.
There was no lapping and no delidding on CPU. System was reinstalled after motherboard change.

@ Dont have my old macho - solded

200x400px-LL-0922ffac_Beztytuu.png

Are you saying the previous MB had no issue but this one now does on two different AIO coolers?

That's very bizarre to say the least. Something is obviously wrong. Have you tried another monitoring program like CoreTemp and HWiNFO64 to see if the same readings are being displayed? If they are, I would suspect the sensors on the CPU are damaged somehow. Check the socket as well just in case some pins might be out of place.

If its possible, see if you can test this with another MB from either a friend or a store.

I know its a pain in the arse, but if you get same readings with another monitoring program, then i would suggest re-seating your CPU and re-applying thermal paste. It could be a few things.
- If it is a faulty CPU sensor, then you can't do much about it other than re-assemble and hope for the best.
- If it is a faulty connection between cpu and socket, then a clean with isoprop on the underside of the cpu and a re-seat might help? (or could be bad connection in actual socket...warranty?)
- If it is a bad thermal transfer between cpu and cooler, then reapplying paste and re-seating cooler might help.
- If is is bad thermal transfer from actual cpu cores to cpu lid, then you cant do much but maybe send back for warranty. (not likely as 50 deg difference should "bleed" into other cores internally)
Do the things you can to rule out what you can change first. After that, it could be a return for warranty.... Hope this helps a bit.

The CPU temp is calculated by reading the resistance value of thermistors inside the CPU itself.
If the motherboard is reading one value correctly, i would bet it is reading them all correctly.
I would not blame the motherboard reading the values wrong.

In your unique situation I would bet you are mounting your cooler wrong / thermal paste application issue.
My crazy guess is you are tightening your cooler in a clockwise manner. This can lead to uneven contact with the CPU and poor TIM distribution.

Can you try re-mounting your cooler again and tighten it down like this:
top left -> bottom right -> top right -> bottom left
just like a 4 lug nut wheel on a car

Also you dont want to have it 100% tight on the first go at it. At least 3-4 times per screw should be done.
The case should also not be on its side when you are doing this. lay it flat down on its side so the cooler will not be hanging.

Doing that should give you a even mounting pressure and hopefully resolve your issue.
Do let us know of any updates, good luck

Back