• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

hunting for best 775 mobo, give me your top 5 picks.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I have a Rampage Formula x48 ddr2 board. With an e8600 it was able to do 600fsb with relative ease. Maybe more but my ram didn't like anything more than 1200mhz. 550-575 fsb was good for 24/7 operation, no problem. I heard newer p45 boards were better for quads. My Rampage with an x3360 is good for about 470fsb. Not sure if it's a chip or board limitation.

I have a Rampage Formula x48 ddr2 board. With an e8600 it was able to do 600fsb with relative ease. Maybe more but my ram didn't like anything more than 1200mhz. 550-575 fsb was good for 24/7 operation, no problem. I heard newer p45 boards were better for quads. My Rampage with an x3360 is good for about 470fsb. Not sure if it's a chip or board limitation.
You answered your own question in this statement. ;)
It is a chip limitation.

You are probably right, I just don't have another board to test my might :D

I had an asus P45 board, but it was total shxx. I brought it back that day. Pretty sure that was pretty much were most yorkfields topped out anyways :thup:

Shiozaki, I think your primary take-away from this thread is two things. It's not going to be your usual cheap old hardware buy & build and you will have plenty of support in getting the most out of whatever LGA 775 hardware you end up benching from the guys in this community. :)

Lol yeah the hardware held its value well, same with X58, still trying to get a sabertooth but I digress.

Anyone care to go into more detail about the different chipsets for the platform?

The main difference between P45 and X48 is x16 PCIe. X48 was considered better at gaming & video benching because of the dual x16 performance if you ran crossfirex. Running 2 video cards on a P45 wasn't as good for benching. Real world though, you couldn't see the slowdown because it was fairly small.

The P45 is the better at overclocking 45nm quad core CPUs, but the X48 was really good with 65 or 45nm dual cores. If you want to run CPU benches on quads & single card video benches, look for P45. If you are interested in crossfire video benching, you need to get an X48.

So I found a asus rampage Formula for 60$ should I pick it up at that price ?

Back