• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[HX850] AI Suite II reports "+3.3V warning", random Anti-Surge restarts

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

txus.palacios

[HX850] AI Suite II reports "+3.3V warning", random Anti-Surge restarts

Since some time back, I've had this "error". If I put a looooot of load on my computer (say, Prime95 or any furry GPU stability test, whether it's Kombustor or FurMark), my board would shut down, and in a couple of seconds, boot up again, telling me that Anti-Surge protection kicked in.

Well, I am not using an UPS (yet) and it could've surely been a little surge, but, it happens every time I put a big load on my computer. I'm starting to get worried.

Furthermore, ASUS's AI Suite II reports "+3.3V warning" when I am playing something and my GPUs are overclocked. The GPUs have had the same OC (860/2000) since they first saw water, unlocked voltages and up to 1213mV (I did not go water to use air cooling voltages :D). I am yet to check the voltages with a DMM.

Have you guys got any clue on what this could be?

I think I have one, when I installed sleeving, a little orange wire (+3.3V), very thin, got pulled from it's connector. It was connected with a +3.3V wire, this one of normal thickness, that was in the +24p connector. Anyone has any idea what this little cable does? I will solder it back asap, anyway.

I also get the same 3.3v warning from time to time, seems random for me though, had it show up at idle once. However when I check my voltages they are fine, around 3.4v. I have never had it shut down on me though. I think AI Suite is a little buggy. The first time it happened I checked with my DMM and all was well, 3.408v.

I agree, AI Suite is just buggy. Come to think of it it has given me warnings for +3.3v,+5v, and +12v before. I didn't check with a DMM every time though, just the first time I saw the warning (+3.3v). The other day it kept telling me to update my BIOS. Gotta love AI Suite!:screwy:

Yeeeeep, bugs. Multimeter reports 3.38v. :3 In my book, that's damn nice for 3.3v.

What about the Anti-Surge thingy? Someone knows what kicks it?

EDIT: It keeps happening. Random restarts out of the blue, without a BSOD, without an error that can be found on Event Viewer... nothing. It just seems like if someone flipped a breaker and instantly put it back on. Anti-Surge is disabled, using the last BIOS, Ai Suite II only has FanXpert, TurboV Evo, and Sensor Recorder installed. No other software is installed that reads from on-board sensors, well, maybe one, MSi Afterburner, but it should not have nothing to do with ASUS' sensors.

Last edited:
To be fair, if it's really a "surge", you wouldn't be able to see it on a multimeter. It could be a 10 milliseconds transient or something. The only way to make sure is using an oscilloscope.

That said, I wouldn't trust some software to do "surge protection" though. Software is way too slow for this kind of things.

Back