• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I don't see any difference in running an ethernet card over the usb port.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tacos

I was told how much better an ethernet card would be. Well, to be honest so far im not seeing any real big difference. Seems to me I should have just saved my money and kept using the usb port. By the way im using a linksys 10/100 fast ethernet card.

So what's your card running to? If it's just to an internet connection (wether directly or through another computer), then no, it won't be faster unless you can get better than 12Mps downloads.
If it's talking to another computer as in transfering files from one to another, then yes it would be faster as long as the other computer is sending at 100Mps. Check it's settings, it may be setup wrong on the other computer.

PLug in a few more USB devices and you'll see a difference. USB port has a max bandwidth of 32 mbps, shared. This means the more devices you hook up the slower they will all work. Also devices that suck bandwidth will slow everything down even more.

Also don't some modems draw their power from the USB port, stressing the USB controler ? (eg. Alcate Speed Touch USB ). I've read about this problem which results in no modem initialisation.It draws toooooo much voltage and thus making the system unstable. (I can't remember the website though :( )

Back