• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I KILLED MY X1900XT

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

geofrancis

I was checking to see if i could run my card totaly passive with enough case fans on with my x1900xt and arctic cooling s1. so i started ati tool and set it to scan for artifacts with the case fans up full and it did the core didnt go over 75c. so i had it still scanning in the background while i was turning the case fans down 5% at a time and keeping an eye on the core temp at the bottom right hand side of the screen i had my fans at 60% and the core was only at 80c.

i clicked back onto ati tool and relised the voltage regulators are at 123c!!! seconds after this the screen went all ****ed up and the pc crashed. now when i turn it on there is green bits all over the screen even the bios screen ive tried underclocking the core and the ram but no change it wont even run a 3d aplication without ati recover kicking in.

if any one knows anything i can do please help this is my only decent card ive got :( i cant live with only a x800gt i might have to kill myself or get a new card a HD3870 or 8800gt might be in my not so distant future...

ive uploaded a pic of the screen with speedfan on it and a black background

Attachments

• Image123.jpg
    Image123.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 181
Last edited:
yea thats what im thinking i want to be sure that this is beond repair before i think of some twisted way to send it on to the next life mabe see what happens without a heatsiink.

i know the old thunderbord cores went with a bang and they were only 77 million transistors this is 384 million hopefully it should be like a small nuke :D

Last edited:
owch that hurt to read as I just installed a s1 on my x1900xt yesterday and ran into some problems getting it installed properly and then ran it w/ no fans for a few mins. Now it has 2x 1k rmp 120mm fans on it and is running fine but without mem sinks on.

it will idle no problem passive all i needed was a stock 775fan running at less than 1000rpm to keep the voltage regulators below 90 and the core below 75-80 under full load at 3d clocks.

if your going to run the card at stock speed u sujest you undervolt the core and ram so less heat from the vr's. at idle i had it running at 300/450 @ 0.9v core and 1.8v ram with it only drawing 2.7A on the core and

at full speed i had it at 625/720 1.4v core and 1.85v ram

Attachments

• gpu.JPG
    gpu.JPG
    132.9 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:
with my current setup at stock volts durring games it maxes out at 70 on the voltage regulators and 50 on the core at 700/750

i could run the fan at 15% on ati tool and the vr's wouldnt go over 80c. the fan was barely turning even with the case fans nearly off. i should have just left it at that but i had to go that little bit further :(

Back