• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I need a better GPU setup.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pierre3400

annnnnnd it's gone
Hey guys,

I have been out of the game for at least 2 years now, plenty happy with my 2x GTX980 setup, but running 4 monitors and wanting to go back to playing Car sim games, i need more Vram, 4x 1440p and 4gb ram is not working.
What upgrade should i be looking at? Funds are NOT unlimited, i dont mind used, but i dont if i should go 1 top tier card or 2 older cards. I dont care about power use.

I have been considering 2x 1080 or 1080ti. i have lost all touch with AMD gpus, i have missed eyefinity from when i had 3x HD7970 Ghz 6gb, so io dont mind a switch back.

What should i be looking at?

Are you dead set on SLI? If you're considering top-of-the-line (just guessing as you mentioned 1080s) might as well look into the 2xxx line. Took a quick look and at least several have quad monitor support in single card setups, and you have the option to add a second down the line (if $$$ is an issue up front).

i'd probably look at 2wo 1080ti's

from what I have seen the 2xxx cards failed to impress and by the time you at this point with a pair of 1080's they might have ray tracing that wont kill performance

Are you dead set on SLI? If you're considering top-of-the-line (just guessing as you mentioned 1080s) might as well look into the 2xxx line. Took a quick look and at least several have quad monitor support in single card setups, and you have the option to add a second down the line (if $$$ is an issue up front).
By no means do i need it to be SLi. But 2x 1080ti vs 1x 2080 would be a serious thought.

Grab 2 2080s. Its like 2 1080ti...and maybe you can use RT some day. :p
Not dropping that much this time around, and as you say, its like 2x 1080ti but without RTX, which i dont care about at all.

i'd probably look at 2wo 1080ti's

from what I have seen the 2xxx cards failed to impress and by the time you at this point with a pair of 1080's they might have ray tracing that wont kill performance

2x 1080tis would be a good option, but i have yet to see anyone talking about AMD cards? Why is this? are they that far behind on performance?

They are notably behind and they use substantially more power. Their flagship vega64 is as fast as a 1080 (165w) with a 295w board power.

The fastest setup is 2 1080ti, but a single 2080ti, which would be cheaper than 2 1080ti, will outperform the two 980s... by how much, youd like have to look up reviews and extrapolate the difference. Depends on scaling of the games. But the vRAM situation will obviously be better going from 4gb to 11gb. Also, no sli hassle and half the power use. You can add another down the road.

So... what IS your budget? We can toss out suggestions all day long....lol.

Last edited:
They are notably behind and they use substantially more power. Their flagship vega64 is as fast as a 1080 (165w) with a 295w board power.

The fastest setup is 2 1080ti, but a single 2080ti, which would be cheaper than 2 1080ti, will outperform the two 980s... by how much, youd like have to look up reviews and extrapolate the difference. Depends on scaling of the games. But the vRAM situation will obviously be better going from 4gb to 11gb. Also, no sli hassle and half the power use. You can add another down the road.

So... what IS your budget? We can toss out suggestions all day long....lol.

Budget, i would like to be around the 1200usd mark, which is about what 2x1080ti used would set me back.

So it sounds like i need to stick with nvidia.

i just upgraded from a 7870/r9 270x crossfire set up to one 1080 standard for $300 (refurbed) and i dont know why i waited so long.

just get cards with good coolers, i'm kind of regretting that part of my decision but hey it was, and still is cheap

I Second two 1080ti.

I went from 7950 to rx580 8gb. Was not that happy. Then to a 1080. Runs more fps, less power, betterrrrrrrrrr

Back